Traction solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading different threads on here about different recommendations for lockers/lsds and the whole deal. I'm getting some answers, but I'm still not sure what route to go. I'm going to be saving up for a traction enhancing setup for my 2wd Libby, and I'm still unsure whether to go with an aftermarket lsd (like the truetrac) or with a locker (like a lunchbox locker, or powertrax).

The Libby is my DD and will remain my DD for several years. I do some occasional light towing and zero off-roading (right now).

This is what I'm looking for/wanting:

>Excellent road manners (Doesn't mean I don't want any noises or changes in
handling)
>Best value for price
>Ease of install (Not a lot of "professional mechanics" in this area, so a
truetrac might get costly in that area)
>Good performance in rain/snow/off-road situations.

I'm sure I could add more, but that's it initally. I want to add something in the rear diff for peace of my in inclement weather, but also for the confidence in doing some light trail riding. I don't feel confident in the Libby right now. (I know, shoulda got a 4wd, but that wasn't in the price range at the time, or available anywhere close by).

Please make suggestions about whether to go with a Powertrax (no-slip or lockrite) or a TrueTrac, or another route.

But, please also explain your suggestion and why it would be best for my applications. That seems to be what I'm lacking as I read through these other threads.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If funds permit, I'll be installing a Trutrac this summer for the very reasons that tkj mentions. And for quite the same requirements that you're looking for. Mostly on road, daily driver. I want it to be invisible when it's not working, and get away from the one wheel wonder when I need it.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, much as I like my "lunchbox lockers"...I'd have to say what you describe as looking for would be the TrueTrac.

A lunchbox locker can get a little squirrely in wet/icy weather, especially if you've never driven a locked or limited slip vehicle.

Me personally, I'm doing either an Aussie Locker or Spartan Locker, because I've owned a Powertrax No-Slip, and loved it. The cost is right ($300 for the Aussie), and the cost of install is a couple qts of gear lube (these are fairly easy for the backyard mech to do.)

But if you want something more driveable, and less noticeable, from what I understand and have heard, a TrueTrac is indeed what you are looking for.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience.... a powertrax is great and doesn't really change the handling characteristics of the vehicle.... The only real change that must be made is if you like to accelerate/keep your foot on the gas in sharp turns.... if you do this you will eat up tires and cause problems.... if you just let off the gas when cornering and don't drive like a maniac in the rain you will not notice a powertrax being back there..... Mine has been pretty quiet.... its all on what you want and are willing to spend.... I think it is the best bang for the buck... especially since you could practically train a monkey to install one whereas a truetrac the average home mechanic doesnt havee the skills or time to install properly