Tpms ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had TPMS and I was considering upgrading but I read somewhere that it only worked when if you were going 25mph or more. Can one of you guys with TPMS confirm? The only reason I want it is for monitoring air on the trail. If they don't work at low speeds they would be useless to me.

As a side note, I've been looking at two other technologies that are cool if you guys haven't seen them.

Staun makes internal beadlockers (about $600) that are kevlar belts around a thin inner tube. The inner tube is only a couple inches thick. It is inflated to 90psi and it holds the beads in place. Then the rest of the air chamber in the tire can be deflated as low as you want.

Cycloid makes an auto pump. It mounts in the wheel hub (one for each tire) and automatically pumps the tires up to a set pressure. The technology has the capability to be remotely set, but I haven't seen anywhere that says that they are doing that. Remote setting would be great. You could set your air to low for the trails and then turn it up when you get off the trail. One MAJOR problem. They only inflate 2-3psi per hour. They work off of the rotation of the wheel. Not practical for re-inflating on the trail, but nice for maintaining on the open road (even with a slow leak).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most do not work at lower speeds,TPMS is the worst thing to monitor air pressure for offroad,plus when airing way down you run the risk of breaking them.Unless you can live with a constant lite on and chimes go for it.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Well, it saves me a hundred bux or so knowing that. I'd kill for a system that was push button air up/air down system. :)