Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty. It does not have the factory towing package but does have an aftermarket hitch. I am looking at a folding camper that weighs about 1,700 pounds. It does not have trailer brakes. Any thoughts on how this will work? I have towed a similar camper before with a Nissan Xterra with no troubles.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your hitch can hold 2000 pounds it wont be hard for the libby at all. The heavy duty towing package is only needed when going up from 2500 to 5000 pounds if my memory is good. You could get it install or install it yourself if you want but for your 1700 pounds camper it wont be needed.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1700 lbs. No problem. I towed my 1999 wj home from north Carolina to jersey.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a class 3 hitch installed on it so the hitch is good up to 5,000 pounds. The Libby has a lot more power than my old Xterra did so I figured power would be no problem. Stopping was my main concern.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Liberty should have 4 wheel disk to so no probleme here. Any, even with drum on the rear this would be a easy one. My father in law santa-fe have rear drum and still can tow the 2000 pounds camper no problem.
If you are really concern about breaking then you could have a camper brake system install on both your car and camper but that's useless in that case. Just make sure you have good working brake and everything will be perfect.