Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Next weekend, I'm planning on taking the quads out to the Hassayampa River bottom outside of Phoenix. We usually prefer to tow the quads using the Dodge 3500 with the Cummins. However, it doesnt seem like that will be an option. I've only towed with it once before. What is better O/D on or O/D off? Also, would I benefit from using the Selec-Trac in 4 Full Time?

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the key is to keep the trans shifting as little as possible. OD is fine for no to small grade sections but should not be used at steep grade sections because you do not want it kicking down a lot.

I doubt you'd see any benefit from using 4full.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
the key is to keep the trans shifting as little as possible. OD is fine for no to small grade sections but should not be used at steep grade sections because you do not want it kicking down a lot.

I agree, you will fry your torque converter if it is constantly shifting in and out of OD you will just have to try it and see how it does. You may not even notice its back there depending on what type of trailer and how many quads you have. If its just two I'm sure the 3500 was overkill.

4wd would be a waste of time unless it gets slick out or you head off the road.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger said:
SRotblat said:

I agree, you will fry your torque converter if it is constantly shifting in and out of OD you will just have to try it and see how it does. You may not even notice its back there depending on what type of trailer and how many quads you have. If its just two I'm sure the 3500 was overkill.

4wd would be a waste of time unless it gets slick out or you head off the road.

Yep. The 3500's gas mileage doesnt even take a hit with the quads back there. They are two Polaris and its a flatbed (8 x 10) trailer. Total weight should be around 1900 lbs. As far as hills, it is virtually flat all the way to where I like to ride, so that wouldnt be too much of a concern. I really appreciate the input and I guess Full Time would be a waste.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can keep it in 4th with the torque locked without a problem, you can run O/D on. If the engine feels like its under a strain and its unlocking the torque ro stay up to speed, turn O/D off. O:)

1900 shouldn't be a big problem at all if there isnt any hills. I would say that you couldnt feel them behind that big diesel.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. And what should I expect for gas mileage so I know how much that will cost. Last time, I never took it out of O/D (inexperience) and got between 11 and 13 mpg. I was extremely conservative with the go pedal too O:)

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I keep seeing mention of the torque converter locking up, not sure what exactly that means and is it something you can tell is happening (locking and unlocking)?

Since I'm new to Liberties and this is also my first automatic trans, can anyone elaborate on this?

I also will be doing a fair bit of towing with my travel trailer.

Thanks,

Dave