Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric_Lee

Reaction score
Ive read through some threads and I must say this site out of all Jeep forums ive joined looking for help. Is the most pleasant and informational forum ive ever come across. So much so that I've book marked just this particular forum as all members are extremely helpful, nice, and overall just an awesome group of people.

Now that I've buttered you all up lol (I was being serious about how nice the forum members are here). I try not to make random post as a good 95% of my questions have already been asked and answered. However I have a question thats going to be a matter of opinion and preference.

My question... I'm looking to get an airless impact driver to help bust stubborn bolts and nuts on my 2003 Jeep Liberty limited. Its 2wd, automatic, with the oil eating 3.7 liter engine. When I do any work on my vehicle its always the same story. Theres that one bolt or nut that just will not come off. I did purchase an impact driver as I have a 3 gallon air tank but in my excitement I didn't read the box where it said an 8 gallon tank is required. Ive watched this show (mighty car mods) and they had an impact driver that ran off batteries. Im not able to spend $300 on a battery powered Ryobi battery powered impact driver. I'm looking to swap out my upper control arm and put a new set of struts that already have the springs on there. But theres this 21mm bolt thats going to be heck to bust loose. Yes I do have PB Blaster but that doesnt always work. Heck I'm still having trouble getting this stupid torx 20 screws holding my TPS in place. Ive blasted it with PB blaster, first tried using a hand held torx tool to try and remove it and I fear I may have stripped one. Whats a good impact driver that has a decent amount of torque and won't cost me $300? Ive recently purchased a bolt removal kit which consist of drilling counter clockwise and then some how put in this small bolt extractor and was told I'd need a wrench to turn it out. These bits are small and I'm scared of twisting this bolt remover in half. But drilling the drill bit in the 1st place is a problem as I dont have a good drill. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as impact drivers or impact wrenches go? Ive checked Amazon and there are just so many to choose from, however if I go to my local hardware store (which is exactly what advance auto told me to do) the prices are almost double what I see online.

I cant drive the jeep as it shuts off whenever I'm at idle. The rev is all over the place now and I had a check engine light (still do) that said my throttle position sensor is bad. But no one told me that the bolts holding this piece of plastic in are super tough to remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tools, well a 120v corded Dewalt DW292 1/2 Impact Wrench or similar should do the job.
The Tps, ya breaking them free is difficult the first time, as they may have used thread locker.
The idea is to get as much inward pressure applied before you try to break them free, and this works for me every time (as long as it is not stripped)
The new mopar TPS came with 2 screws however, having spares- some new T-20 screws if questionable for replacements good idea for IAC too etc, and use a dab of anti-seize on threads.
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/throttle-positiion-sensor-replaced-tps.59336/
You must be registered for see images attach

The IAC also controls idle speed and getting the carbon removed is a good idea from port and IAC (see post 10) https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/idle-air-control-no-screws.44826/

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those t20 bolts - try a little tightening force before backing them out

The larger metal nuts - use heat and a large breaker bar. Leverage is your friend. I use an old jack handle slipped over my 1/2” ratchet at times.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've ran a Dewalt DCF889H for years and removes anything that I need removed. It's helped on more than 45 KJ lifts plus tearing into both of my lifted KJs at various stages of their lives installing aftermarket bumpers, skids etc.
As far as PB Blaster tossed that skunk pee away years ago and only thing we use around here is KANO Aerokroil , way better

Oh and one of my pet peeves,.............................................
Liberty's do not have struts, don't give a crap what generic crap some put on for a name.
Having struts means you do not have upper control arms
We have coilover shocks, we have upper control arms as you know.
It's also a good way to screw with people behind the counter ( even though I would never install factory style coilovers )

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... my main impact is a cordless 18v Ryobi, and it's been great for my needs. Prior to that I used a corded impact from harbor Freight.. was on sale half off, so I only paid $40 for it, but it has worked very well and would have been worth the regular price of $80.

So I guess my point is that I don't have anything helpful to add or recommend.

Latest posts

Members online