Towing question on 09 Liberty Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCSEIN

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who had an older (04 I believe) Jiberty and I was talking about possibly towing my PT Cruiser this weekend since I am selling it to my in-laws. He said that he had a lot of problems towing a small trailer with his earlier model (said it was hard to controll and had some overheating issues). I am wondering if anyone has had the chance to tow anything with an 09 (or an 08), I did get the trailer tow package and according to the manual it can tow up to 5000 lbs.

Any advice is helpful.

Sam

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the OEM tow package with HD cooling and a auto trans you can tow upto 5000lbs,but be weary you have the 42RLE trans and it's iffy for towing over 4000lbs anyways.Your buddy probally does not have the OEM tow package and HD cooling and this is why he has overheating issues.

I have a '02 KJ,with the 45RFE(truck ******) with a 28,000lbs GVWR trans cooler and have towed 6200lbs without a issue,twice I've towed 4000lbs for 2 1500mile trips through the mountains with no overheating issues either.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing stoping you from towing the full 5000lbs as your jeep sits. Assuming you have a after factory hitch installed. The Tow package contains no power adders to increase the Tow height.

The tow package contrains a hitch, wire harness, Heavy duty cooler for the ****** and mechanical engine fan. The bigger cooler and fan is what allows you to pull 5000lbs with out having your Jeep over heat. If you are towing it a very long dist. I'd day get the full tow kit.
I've towed up to 4500lbs on short dist. and I don't have a tow package. I don't do it often though.

There are even some ppl on the forum who have towed the max weight without a tow package and have had no problems.

THe PT even with a dolly shouldnt be no more than 4000lbs

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of a Jeep Jiberty. :D

Not really heard of anyone having issues with over heating, with or without the towing pack, given the cooling system was in good shape. Only thing it adds is the engine driven fan and a power steering cooler(on kj's with the 42rle). Not 100% sure what the towing pack adds on KK's but since you have it, it doesnt matter. The fan can help with cooling at hw speeds but mostly it helps keet things cool at low speeds.

Most of the time when people have problems with over heating its the ******. They do not limit the ****** to a lower gear, they let it shift as it pleases which will shorten its life and cause un-needed heat. In severe situations it over heats no matter what, then you need a bigger ****** cooler.

Shouldnt be a problem towing a little PT. If you have a big heavy trailer you may get close to 5k. If its just a small dolly it will be ok, just be smart and understand it will get kinda slow on the hills.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
i've never personally heard about any towing problems with the kj, I saw one once towing a 18ft flat bed trailer with a huge lifted wrangler on it, wasn't even squatted.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I regularly tow 4,000-4,500 lbs with no problem whatsoever. I do have the OEM tow package and trailer brakes. I lock out o/d when necessary. I am really amazed at how easy the KJ tows for a SWB Jeep since my previous tow vehicle was a bigger truck.

Just my towing experience.

Dave

GRNZY88

Reaction score
Towing Question

Yo,

May be a dumb question but just wondering if I have the tow package on my '08 KK limited 4x4. The sticker says it has a "Auxilliary Transmission Oil Cooler" plus I have a tow/haul button to shut the OD off but I don't it didn't come from the factory with the class III hitch. Can I tow the 5000 pounds or what?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tow/haul comes on all libertys.

Not sure if they still add the engine driven fan on the kk's like they did on the kj's with the tow pack or not.

Other than that, all you need is the hitch+wiring if it has the ****** cooler. Pretty sure all KK's get a cooler though.