To rebuild / To not rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Squid

Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD w/330709 miles on it. It threw a piston rod bearing, still runs but is crippled to say the least. I am emotionally attached so do not have a clue what I would replace it with.
Should I rebuild the engine, or move on? I have owned it since 15K miles in 2007.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a tough call only you can make, sorry about it. I had a '71 wagoner that I absolutely loved, put an engine in after the original died, then it seemed like it needed something major every time I turned around. It was expensive because I was not nearly the mechanic I am now, (still not the best), but had I been able to do some of the work myself it might have been a different story. Couple of years ago I totaled my '65 VW Baja. It was depressing, but I looked at it logically. While I could have rebuild it I knew I wouldn't have much time or money to do so for many years. It made sense to let it go. Leave the emotion out of it and ask yourself the hard questions. Not trying to talk you out of it,, just being objective in case it saves you future heartache.. Best of luck to you.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
How much do you like to wrench?

Are there any good engines available in junkyards near you? Most of the CRDs die from top end damage due to timing belt neglect. Usually the bottom end is OK unless the valves got loose.

Captain Dean has a good thread with excellent pictures on the LOSTJEEPS forum. It looks like quite a process to pull the crank carrier from the block.

Yours is the first I've heard of that wore out the bottom end.

The Squid

Reaction score
Rig has had top notch maintenance throughout my ownership.

TurbleD, Found one high miler not too far away, 270K. So not a good candidate.

The knock is coming from the exhaust side way down low under the turbo. No leaking, smoking, warning lights. Never used a drop of oil. Changed every 5k.

Duderz7, all three of my brothers have told me to buck up and move on....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Re-building is big $ & a huge project that most would not want to take on.
I'd be looking for a lower mile CRD replacement engine, that would allow you to keep your KJ friend :)

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would replace it with a rebuilt! All upgrades done and everything to specs. Powertrain Products is where I plan to go when the time comes.

The Squid

Reaction score
Powertrain was some great intel, but unfortunately they will not do or have the Motori motor.

Thanks,

Kawika

Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD w/330709 miles on it. It threw a piston rod bearing, still runs but is crippled to say the least. I am emotionally attached so do not have a clue what I would replace it with.
Should I rebuild the engine, or move on? I have owned it since 15K miles in 2007.
Have you taken apart the head and looked at the valve gear?
3 mechanics told us that we needed a new motor as the bottom end had some problem(rod bearing) and almost bought a new rebuild for 6500$ and a buddy who works on big diesel buses came over and sure enough it was only the top end and one of the valves had come apart.
Tough little bugger.I drove from Utah to CA.
Thought I toasted the motor as in alot of smoke and no power.
Well1200$ instead of 6500$,she still is running today and that was 5 years ago. My buddy saved my butt.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
"snakeyez" On LOSTJEEPS has an '06 CRD for sale in Houston with 160,000 miles. Just dropped his price to $3K. No rust, many little problems.

KRB

Reaction score
I would investigate further, as suggested, before condemning the bottom end. If it's a top end issue they aren't too terrible to R&R valves, rockers, etc.

Either way, if you truly feel as you do for your KJ, my recommendation would be to rebuild or replace the VM. You love it, you know it, it works for you. However, everything else still has over 300K on it and won't last forever either.

Me, if I like a vehicle and it serves my purpose I keep it until it rusts away/gets totaled/etc (I only have 10 right now) for the reasons stated above. If you replace it with another you don't really know what you are getting, what the PO was hiding or neglecting; it could be a while until you are as comfortable with it as you were your KJ.

I'd rather spend the bucks on repairs and upgrades while factoring in down time rather than payments and dealer layups. But that's me and I'm sentimental too...

BSG

Reaction score

I've got a stock 2005 Sport CRD, 140,000 miles. Changed timing belt, turbo, EGR, fuel filter at 100,000. 40,000 miles later replaced turbo again, hoses, 5 new BFG KO2's, brakes, front driveshaft, new fuel injectors, and a few other odds and ends. It coughed once and died. After a couple of shops that said Said "I dunno, take it to somebody who knows more.", towed it to a diesel shop. He had it for months, put in a storage lot, then finally towed it to my place, engine in pieces with a 800.00 bill for diagnostics. Said the rockers and timing belt were shot and told me to find a crate engine and he'd put in in, but funny, he says another CRD came into his shop with same problems and he fixed it. FCA got rid of all the crate engines in the warehouse two months before this happened. Used ones I've come across were as many miles or more for thousands of dollars.
The dealers around here wouldn't even look at it. Guy I talked to suggested a particular junkyard to pull my own but warned me to keep an eye out for the rattlesnakes.

So there it sits behind the garage. If I could, I'd donate to a HS auto shop

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
As one that has literally had engines spray their guts out the crater that was once #3 cylinder, it really comes down to budget.

put a few grand into your baby, or replace it?

with modern engines IMO, it is rarely worth the expense…you spend big bucks only to find the rest has rotted out.

I got a Liberty only because I’m too old to deal with VWs anymore.

The Squid

Reaction score
Sooo, I know it has been awhile, new job, remodeled laundry room, sons wedding, finally got the squid to give a code, P0304. We will see if we can make it run smooth again. Course, as you all can see, not in a real hurry. Good to have back up wheels

KRB

Reaction score
So are you thinking it could be something something less terminal than a bearing now?

Latest posts

Members online