To rebuild / To not rebuild

Discussion in 'CRD KJ's Section' started by The Squid, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:24 PM.

1. The Squid

The Squid New Member

I have a 2005 CRD w/330709 miles on it. It threw a piston rod bearing, still runs but is crippled to say the least. I am emotionally attached so do not have a clue what I would replace it with.
    Should I rebuild the engine, or move on? I have owned it since 15K miles in 2007.

2. duderz7

duderz7 Full Access Member

That's a tough call only you can make, sorry about it. I had a '71 wagoner that I absolutely loved, put an engine in after the original died, then it seemed like it needed something major every time I turned around. It was expensive because I was not nearly the mechanic I am now, (still not the best), but had I been able to do some of the work myself it might have been a different story. Couple of years ago I totaled my '65 VW Baja. It was depressing, but I looked at it logically. While I could have rebuild it I knew I wouldn't have much time or money to do so for many years. It made sense to let it go. Leave the emotion out of it and ask yourself the hard questions. Not trying to talk you out of it,, just being objective in case it saves you future heartache.. Best of luck to you.

LibertyTC likes this.
  3. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

How much do you like to wrench?

Are there any good engines available in junkyards near you? Most of the CRDs die from top end damage due to timing belt neglect. Usually the bottom end is OK unless the valves got loose.

Captain Dean has a good thread with excellent pictures on the LOSTJEEPS forum. It looks like quite a process to pull the crank carrier from the block.

Yours is the first I've heard of that wore out the bottom end.

LibertyTC likes this.
  4. The Squid

The Squid New Member

Rig has had top notch maintenance throughout my ownership.

TurbleD, Found one high miler not too far away, 270K. So not a good candidate.

The knock is coming from the exhaust side way down low under the turbo. No leaking, smoking, warning lights. Never used a drop of oil. Changed every 5k.

Duderz7, all three of my brothers have told me to buck up and move on....

5. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Re-building is big $ & a huge project that most would not want to take on.
    I'd be looking for a lower mile CRD replacement engine, that would allow you to keep your KJ friend :)

AJ9P likes this.
  6. LONGJEEPOWNER

LONGJEEPOWNER Full Access Member

Personally I would replace it with a rebuilt! All upgrades done and everything to specs. Powertrain Products is where I plan to go when the time comes.

7. The Squid

The Squid New Member

Powertrain was some great intel, but unfortunately they will not do or have the Motori motor.

Thanks,