To buy or not to buy... That is my question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my80chevette

Reaction score
Well how do folks! I have been eyeballing a variety of vehicles to replace my broken down 1997, 2.3, 5-speed 2wd Ford Ranger. Something in the clutch assembly went south and since I lack a proper place to do such an involved repair I am considering something with a few less miles and 4 wheel drive. I spotted 2003 Liberty Sport with the 2.4 and five speed and thought it might be a good choice for me. Before I ask for your opinions I will tell you this little KJ has what some consider a lot of miles...221k to be exact. My Ranger has 300K (had 260K when I got it) and has done well for me the last two and a half years I've owned it. Now I could get the Ranger fixed, but the engine is down on power (lower compression evenly across all cylinders) and I'm leery about spending over a thousand dollars to fix the truck. The Liberty appears to have been well cared for and runs like new with the exception of a driver side cv joint which clicked a bit on tight turns in 4-wheel. The Liberty is $2200 and I would like to run a car fax on the Jeep before buying it but but wanted some opinions on the long term durability of the 2.4. Anyone with a idea of how well these engines hold up and anything I should be especially aware of with these KJ's? Thanks for any input!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With the 4 cylinder engine I would skip that one. I know the hills and roads around there , ( lived in Cambridge and grew up down towards Marietta ) . But they are very underpowered, plus with those miles I'd pass . Not many around really although we do love finding them to swap out the 4.10 gears they come with.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 221k that 2.4 is past it's life,it may run but will end up just like your ranger not long down the road.It's also a timing belt engine that should be on it's 3rd timing belt.If they have no proof that the timing belt has been changed recently with a new water pump expect a $1000 repair right there to start with.

Try buying a vehicle with less then 75k,better chance at it lasting a few years.

my80chevette

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!! Well I guess I'll be repairing the Ranger. I had no idea that the 2.4s were so fragile. Do the 3.7 V6's last longer than the four cylinder engines? I need something that gets decent mileage and until the clutch let go in the Ford I was getting 22-24mpg out of the 2.3. I was really hoping to get another Jeep but my budget for purchasing a vehicle tops out at $2500 so no sub 100k mile KJs for me :icon_smile:. Too bad those 4.0 XJs do so atrocious on gas or I would snatch one of those up!! Dang things grow on trees around here....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The 3.7s will go 300k-400k or more if they are maintained well. And they have a timing chain so that's good.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!! Well I guess I'll be repairing the Ranger. I had no idea that the 2.4s were so fragile. Do the 3.7 V6's last longer than the four cylinder engines? I need something that gets decent mileage and until the clutch let go in the Ford I was getting 22-24mpg out of the 2.3. I was really hoping to get another Jeep but my budget for purchasing a vehicle tops out at $2500 so no sub 100k mile KJs for me :icon_smile:. Too bad those 4.0 XJs do so atrocious on gas or I would snatch one of those up!! Dang things grow on trees around here....
The KJ your looking at is a manual also and when those clutches go you must buy a new flywheel and they are very pricey and very hard to find.Can't machine a dual mass flywheel.You'd be looking at $1200+ for a clutch on a 2.4 manual KJ.