Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeke1312

Reaction score
hyedipin:

Thks for the charts you posted. Good info for me. Makes a good case for or against tire mfg's. Looks like it will make my choice easier and more informed, less subjective, more objective.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done any new purchases that we should know about :)
Let us know, those who replace the rubber..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Has anyone done any new purchases that we should know about :)
Let us know, those who replace the rubber..

I was reading about the Geolander H/T-S G051 on tirerack and on Jeepforum(grands), and everyone really seems to like them. They ARE a hw tire, so they wouldnt be to good in deep snow. For $109 a pop, thats what I will be getting when I get the money. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I was reading about the Geolander H/T-S G051 on tirerack and on Jeepforum(grands), and everyone really seems to like them. They ARE a hw tire, so they wouldnt be to good in deep snow. For $109 a pop, thats what I will be getting when I get the money. O:)

You mean as replacement of your HPs? But I don't see them in 17", although it comes up under 17 category when you go tire it doesn't show up. *I just found it.. here And why go with that instead of others for $20 more, since you already have the lift, you can get 245. *

thecause17 said:
hyedipin said:
Shouldn't this topic be under tires category? 8-[

you mean where we've covered this topic before?

What I meant was this is under Jeep Liberty General Discussion. It should be under tires category. :)

---

I think I am really digging Scorpion ATR since that's the only one with my size in it's category and has "all greens" in review. I might be able to get it a bit cheaper from local guys. I am trying to find out why many people didn't go with it and got GY tires instead.. Any ideas?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
You mean as replacement of your HPs? But I don't see them in 17", although it comes up under 17 category when you go tire it doesn't show up. *I just found it.. www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%2FT-S+G052]here[/url] And why go with that instead of others for $20 more, since you already have the lift, you can get 245.

If you look at the different H/T-S's, some of them come in the 17in size. The G051's do not come in that size, but the G052's do come in that size. O:)

They also get good ratings, but the G053's do not get as good ratings as the G051's and the G052's. O:)

I will probably be getting the G051's in the 245/65/17 size hyedipin. O:) I worry about loosing torque, but I do not believe I will loose as much as I do with my 245/70/16's since i will be using the lighter 17in rims(the cragars rims weigh 20lbs more a piece than the 17in rims).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What will cause torque lost in those tires against HPs?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
What will cause torque lost in those tires against HPs?

The circumference. Any time you make a tire bigger, its like using a bigger gear. O:)

Also, they weigh 3lbs more a piece. More mass with a tire makes it harder to turn. Also, the further out the weight is on the wheel, the harder it makes it to turn. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, thanks.
I am going to ask my mechanic to get me the price for these pirellis. In the meantime I am looking for more reviews and also some opinions from jeepers if anyone got them.

----
Edit:

I was checking other sites for more info on Scorpion ATR, and here is something interesting:

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Pirelli_Scorpion_ATR_tire_reviews.html

According to this reviewer, "These tires develop flat spots". And out of 12 reviews it's gotten 3.5 overall, whereas on tirerack it's almost gotten 9.5/10, which makes me thing is there flooding of positive reviewers for some reason, since this is a new tire!?!?

---------------------

CONSUMER REPORTS RATES GOODYEAR FORTERA HL EDITION BEST IN TESTS OF ALL-SEASON, LIGHT-TRUCK TIRES FOR SUVS AND PICKUPS

October 2004

Pirelli Scorpion STR A & Hankook DynaPro AS RH03 also rated highly in CR’s battery of tests.

YONKERS, NY — In side-by-side comparisons, Consumer Reports rated the Goodyear Fortera HL Edition best overall in tests of 22 different all-season light-truck tires. The Pirelli Scorpion STR A and Hankook DynaPro AS RH03 placed second and third respectively in the rankings. All three posted “Very Good” overall scores.

Consumer Reports tested models in the common P235/70R16 size with an S (112 mph) and T (118 mph) speed rating. Those tire models are typically found on sport-utility vehicles and pickups such as the Chevrolet Blazer, TrailBlazer, and Tahoe; the Ford Explorer and F-150; the Jeep Grand Cherokee; and other top-selling light-truck models.

Here are Consumer Reports’ Quick Picks for all-season, light-truck tires. Prices shown below are approximate retail for the P235/70R16 size used on CR’s test vehicle, a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4:

Best for most; fine year-round grip:

* Goodyear Fortera HL Edition, $115
* Kelly Safari Signature, $90
* Dayton Timberline HT, $75

Superb braking and the best blend of all-weather grip make the Goodyear the most versatile choice. But the Kelly and Dayton perform nearly as well for less money. Consider the Kelly for its quietness and capable ice braking, the Dayton for its smooth ride.

If winter driving is not a factor:

* Pirelli Scorpion STR A, $110
* Hankook DynaPro AS RH03, $80
* Dunlop Radial Rover AT, $85

The pricey Pirelli buys you the best handling of this group. But the Hankook comes close overall and delivers better wet-weather grip and much lower rolling resistance for better fuel efficiency at a lower price. Though less capable in handling, the Dunlop delivers a relatively smooth, quiet ride.

Good choices for all-terrain tires (tested in 2002):

* Dayton Timberline A/T, $65
* Bridgestone Dueler A/T 693, $80

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had very good performance from my Nokian Vatiivas in all weather conditions and off road under the conditions you'd expect for this type tire. Being built in Finland I was reasonably sure they would be a good tire as I'm sure there are far more less than perfect roads and weather up there than we see. They also seem to be wearing extremely well. They come in the size you mentioned at prices considerably lower than I seen for some other choices here. 245/70X16 $ 440 mounted/balanced, tread life rotation/balance with same wear/traction ratings and roadside warranty as the others.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
CRD4Liberty said:
I've had very good performance from my Nokian Vatiivas in all weather conditions and off road under the conditions you'd expect for this type tire. Being built in Finland I was rasonably sure they would be a good tire as I'm sure there are far more less than perfect roads and weather up there than we see. They also seem to be wearing extremely well. They come in the size you mentioned at prices considerably lower than I seen for some other choices here. 245/70X16 $ 440 mounted/balanced, tread life rotation/balance with same wear/traction ratings and roadside warranty as the others.

They look allright
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?threadid=17791

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are going up in price with the other tires due to shipping and materials all made from oil products, if the is the going rate. Bought mine at Tire Factory.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the Silent Armors on mine but haven't had them on long enough to make a comment on their performance as yet...Everything I have read has been good....Rain, Snow,,,etc..........

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, how about Cooper Discoverer ATR ?
They come in 17" and they cost $100 pop online discount, and probably around $110 retail.

Any opinions on these? They look like nicely treaded..

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

TireRack doesn't carry them, so there are not many opinions I can find on them.

===============

Choices now.

Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor (235) $138 -- H RATED
Pirelli Scorpion ATR (235) $159 -- H RATED
Cooper Discoverer ATR (235) $100-$110 -- T RATED
Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread (235) $148 -- H RATED
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor (245) $141 -- T RATED

oh and Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 are on Second Place on the "street sport truck - all season" category at tire rack, so I haven't disregarded them yet. =D>

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cooper ATRs look alot like the Nokians I'm running. I like the performance. Looks like the Nokians may have a little more siping on the lugs, but very similar in appearance/price.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all you considering pirelli or cooper here is an aussie point of view. I just read an excerpt from an article in 'Australian 4WD Monthly' magazine (No. 101, page 64). The aussies did a tyre test of 13 different all-terain tyres (and yes that's how they spell tire in australia). The following is an excerpt from the article

Article - Best AT Tyres 2006: Pirelli Scorpion.

"Pirelli have long been making performance tyres for road cars, and coupled with their more sedate tread pattern, we guessed that they would be great on the road, but probably not much chop off it. Boy, were we wrong! The Scorpions performed beautifully in all tests, from the sloppy mud, through to the soft sand, and the road-noise tests. No matter what we threw at 'em, we couldn't fault them!

An honourable mention must go to old favourites, Cooper Tyres, who had a set of their STs come along for the test. Off-road they blitzed all the tyres in just about every discipline. None could match them for mud-slewing ability, although they were noticeably louder on-road than some of the other tyres - a product of the open-cut,chunky tread pattern. We couldn't help but be impressed by them.

So, our congratulations go to Pirelli and Cooper for making some of the best all-purpose rubber out there!"

Latest posts

Members online