Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeke1312

Reaction score
I have stock Goodyear Wrangler tires on my 2005 Liberty Limited. What are the best tires for all driving conditions? When in snow or driving up my driveway, the traction I expect is not there.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of people swear by the bridgestone Revos. I believe the price is to high though.

Everyone will have their opinions.

I run Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's. Never seen a tire with this much wet traction. They are my off-road/Winter wheels and I hate going back to the stock wheels. I slide all over the place in the rain. ](*,)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear OEM tires are your problem. Like Jeepster said, the Revo's are good but any good tire will be expensive. But, the tires are the only thing connecting you to the ground. I've run 3 sets of BFG A/T's on different vehicles with good results on and off road and snow. Right now I'm running the Terra Trac's as there's not much available in my size rim. (I couldn't get the BFG A/T's in my size or I'd be running them or the Revo's). So far the Terra Trac's are good in snow and on and off road. I don't know how they will last as I only have about 5,000 miles on them.

Dave

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's are pretty good, despite bad reviews. I've also had pretty good luck with the Michelin LTX A/T. I can't remember which I liked more, but both performed well all around.
The next tires for our KJ will definitley be BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 's though. I hear nothing but good about them, much like the Revo but a little cheaper, not that revo's are all THAT expensive (but I'm used to buying sports car tires at about $200 a piece...)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SnowgodCCR said:
Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's are pretty good, despite bad reviews. I've also had pretty good luck with the Michelin LTX A/T. I can't remember which I liked more, but both performed well all around.
The next tires for our KJ will definitley be BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 's though. I hear nothing but good about them, much like the Revo but a little cheaper, not that revo's are all THAT expensive (but I'm used to buying sports car tires at about $200 a piece...)

x2 on the BFGs. We just got our second set put on after putting 60K miles on the first set.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone running Forteras Triple Tred or Fortera Silent Armors?
I am considering these two..

I also would like to add Wrangler Silent Armor to my selection, but it is not my size.. ](*,)

zeke, What is your rim size? Hope not 17, because it limits your selection. I got 17

You must be registered for see images

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Anyone running Forteras Triple Tred or Fortera Silent Armors?
I am considering these two..

I also would like to add Wrangler Silent Armor to my selection, but it is not my size.. ](*,)

zeke, What is your rim size? Hope not 17, because it limits your selection. I got 17

Hyedipin......is the second pic on the right the silent armor? It looks like the best tread of the three. So far my Terra Trac's are good. For me it was either that or change rims to a 16 for more choices in an A/T tire.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the Silent Armors and we almost went for them, but the BFGs were just plain cheaper.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Science guy has the Goodyear Silent armors on the lost board hyedipin. Im telling ya though, you need the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's!! They come in our size too! \:D/

SnowgodCCR, just wait till you get around 25k on those SRA's! I slide all over the place. If you drive like a grandma then they are just fine. Well, untill someone pulls out infront of you. ](*,)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
I really like the Silent Armors and we almost went for them, but the BFGs were just plain cheaper.

He's got a rim size problem, same as me. They don't make the BFG's in the right 17" rim size (235/65/17). They do in 15" and 16". Silent Armor's do come in 235/65/17 but not the BFG's or I'd be running them.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
SnowgodCCR, just wait till you get around 25k on those SRA's! I slide all over the place. If you drive like a grandma then they are just fine. Well, untill someone pulls out infront of you. ](*,)

I only drove them when they were fairly new (less than 30k) since they're on my mother's jeep, but she just got rid of them a few months ago at about 70k...but she never uses the jeep for it's intended purpose anyway ](*,) . The Michelins are the same deal, I drove them BRAND new (0-400 miles), offroad and they were great. I have no idea how they're holding up though.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
desertkj said:

He's got a rim size problem, same as me. They don't make the BFG's in the right 17" rim size (235/65/17). They do in 15" and 16". Silent Armor's do come in 235/65/17 but not the BFG's or I'd be running them.
#-o I always forget about that.

zeke1312

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got 17s. With that limitation, what's the best 17"?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
zeke1312 said:

I wish it was that easy. We have a few topics going on with this same subject, nobody seems to come to a conclusion with any "good tire in all conditions", that's why a few people had to go with 245 instead of 235, however it is just a matter of being lucky or not, spacing, that is.

Blake, I don't know about science guy, but Northbee has wrangler silents instead of goodyear silents, and at 245 and KY Liberty is running destination ATs at same size, no serious problems so far, might be tiny rubbing at full turn. I will most likely go with one of these above. YokoS? Where was your pic with 17s running yokos, I remember their treds weere shorter, right?
](*,)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang on, The Wrangler Silents and the Goodyear Silents are the same tires. They are called the GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armors. O:)

I still have the stock Goodyear Wrangler HP's on my 17in rims. Yokohama makes both the Geolander A/T-S in the 235/65/17 and the Geolander H/T-S in 235/65/17. The days of not having the right size are over. Many different brand make that size now. O:)

Remember all the Pm's I sent you? O:)

Here ya go. That is a good street tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H/T-S+G052

Here are the A/T tires that I have on my 16in rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
zeke1312 said:

I don't think anyone's put 50 - 60,000 miles on their 17's yet.

I took my goodyears off at 15,000 miles (couldn't stand them any longer). They slid all over the place and the last straw was a flat off road from a sharp rock in the tread. I replaced them with the Terra Trac A/T's and have put 5,000 miles on them (235/65/17's). So far they perform pretty good in snow and on/off road. They are vastly superior than the goodyears. They look like they are wearing well but I need to put more miles on to tell for sure.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Hang on, The Wrangler Silents and the Goodyear Silents are the same tires. They are called the GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armors. O:)

what I meant was there are two silent armors, one is fortera (has 235) other is wrangler (has 245).

The pictures I posted. 1) is goodyear fortera silent armor and 2) is goodyear wrangler silent armor

My PM box was full, so I emptied the old ones
8-
let me check these tires tomorrow.. I got my jeep detailed today, i thought that dirt was never gonna come out, and it is pouring right now!!! and I am sleepy.. They did armor all inside, and it looks like a p!mp's shagpad in there, they shined up the dash board.. :barf: #-o

Dave said:
them (235/65/17's). So far they perform pretty good in snow and on/off road..

got pix? :-s

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use General Grabber AT 2's. The tread is similar to the BFG T/A KO but has an even more agressive looking tread with a deeper tread pattern. A big plus is it comes with a 60000 mile treadwear warranty and a 30 day manufacturer test drive period. Also it is less expensive than the BFG. I've used them for 4 months now and I can not see any wear. They look and work great! Love em! \:D/

http://www.generaltire.com/generato...es/van/all_terrain/grabber_at2/master_en.html

Latest posts

Members online