Tires sticking out from wheelwells - how much is too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a tire and wheel combo on order that will stick out from under wheelwells aprox an inch on my 2007 liberty...the dealership and wheel manufacturer have confirmed the combo will work without rubbing...

In the humble opinion of the forum users - how much is too much as far as looks etc?

If you have pics I'd love to see those as well.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since there is no mention of tire size , wheel width or backspacing its hard to say really

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235/70/16 BFG AT's on 16x7's 4" BS

According to the numbers I've been given there will be an inch exposed.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I found a guy with a Dodge Nitro that is taking them...why someone would drive one of those is beyond me...

I had a sweet stroke of luck today and may end up with a set of rims off a Renegade...fingers crossed!

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245/75/16 mounted on 16x7 soft eights with 4.25 backspacing and about 1 inch sticking out of the wheel well. You may have to do a little wheel well work on the front because of a little rubbing when turning lock to lock. This is with a 2.5" lift.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's about right. I was running exactly that setup before I got slightly bigger tires, and I think it looks better than stock. I measured 1 inch out from the top of the flare, and on my current tires that's pretty much just the normal "bulge" of the sidewall.

You might have some mild rubbing on the front fender at full lock (the fog light doors on an '02, not sure about an '07), but a heat gun and wood block will quickly correct the problem.

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting wheels from an 04 Rene...just couldn't be sure I wouldn't have any issues with aftermarket wheels without a lift.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soft 8s work fine without a lift- I drove mine that way for 3+ years. You just can't have big tires until she's lifted.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We added 1.25" spacers to our stock wheels with 245-75-16" tires.
Not only does it look better we feel it handles better.
Especially on road.
Probably mind over matter!
But after pulling them off one afternoon and then Jen driving she noticed a difference
immediately in the KJ's handling.

I'm still looking for a set of MOAB wheels for our truck.

Last edited:

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did I miss something about using spacers with that combo? How will that stick out by an inch? I have the same tyres and (basically) the same rims and mine sit about an inch INSIDE the flares :shrug:

Unless the MY06 Rene rims' have more than 4" BS

Tumbs up on tyres sticking out a little though :icon_twisted:

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4" BS is much smaller then stock - pushing the tires out further. Stock BS on the 17s is about 5.7 inches, 38mm offset.

Members online

No members online now.