Tires-help a newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
never ran or sold Coopers. I keep looking at them, they have some new ones out I'd like to test out for a while. If I don't like them, I'll sell them and move on
Have sold and ran Daytons, BFGs, Hercules, Goodyears, Firestone, Kumho's, Michelin ( although never did like them) Mickey Thompson's, Desert Dawgs, Monster mudders and lots that are not even around any more :happy175:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never ran or sold Coopers. I keep looking at them, they have some new ones out I'd like to test out for a while. If I don't like them, I'll sell them and move on
Have sold and ran Daytons, BFGs, Hercules, Goodyears, Firestone, Kumho's, Michelin ( although never did like them) Mickey Thompson's, Desert Dawgs, Monster mudders and lots that are not even around any more :happy175:

The AT3 Cooper is almost the same damn thing as my AXT Mastercrafts :emotions34: Honestly, I doubt you'll find a Cooper that will last longer than your Duratracs though.

Michelin makes a junk A/T, I won't down play that :shrug: But their road tires are phenomenal for the most part. If you're going to try out a Cooper, maybe go after the STT Maxx.

Whatever you do, don't get those Atturo tires.. I've seen some of their tires call for 16 oz of weight on our balancers :thumbsdown: horrible wear for an everyday driver. Might be alright if you use them for their purpose. Only upside is they're cheap as all get-up.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've sold tons of Coopers over the years, as well as "Dean" when it was a counterpart house-brand to Mastercraft. Overall they have a lot of value in a competitively priced line.

My ***** with Cooper is they may roll along for 10 years with excellent quality control, then for a couple months put our pure garbage, I.E. one out of every set of 4 separating, before they get the issue fixed. One of these events REALLY puts a crimp in customer confidence in their retail supplier.

When they are good they are REALLY good. When they are bad,,,,,,

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've sold tons of Coopers over the years, as well as "Dean" when it was a counterpart house-brand to Mastercraft. Overall they have a lot of value in a competitively priced line.

My ***** with Cooper is they may roll along for 10 years with excellent quality control, then for a couple months put our pure garbage, I.E. one out of every set of 4 separating, before they get the issue fixed. One of these events REALLY puts a crimp in customer confidence in their retail supplier.

Bob

Agree with the Coopers, don't know what it is with them but you are right on

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

True that, quality control can be hit or miss. Goodyear also. Their integrity tires...... Don't even get me started. Even the eagles. I get SO many people coming into our shop asking me why their tires lasted barely 30,000 miles on their 2014 and 2015 vehicles and all I can do is say sorry but we don't warrant OE tires, the manufacturer is a scam artist, etc. :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
True that, quality control can be hit or miss. Goodyear also. Their integrity tires...... Don't even get me started. Even the eagles. I get SO many people coming into our shop asking me why their tires lasted barely 30,000 miles on their 2014 and 2015 vehicles and all I can do is say sorry but we don't warrant OE tires, the manufacturer is a scam artist, etc. :shrug:

I have always said that OE tires are to get the vehicle from the factory to the dealerships, thats about it unless you are buying a high end / high dollar car etc. I have never ran the OE tires for any length of time until I sell them off , think the ones on the 04 may have lasted a couple of months since I was moving, starting a new position etc at the time.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always said that OE tires are to get the vehicle from the factory to the dealerships, thats about it unless you are buying a high end / high dollar car etc. I have never ran the OE tires for any length of time until I sell them off , think the ones on the 04 may have lasted a couple of months since I was moving, starting a new position etc at the time.

Actually, Tom, they do have some specific requirements;

1 QUIET that translates to nearly no traction.
2 SOFT RIDE that translates to no real structural strength.
3 ECONOMICAL TO THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER that equates to short life.

The perfect formula for JUNK.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Budget beater tires :emotions34: It's just funny to me how people expect the OE crap they call tires to last any length of time.

Members online

No members online now.