tire size options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im wondering if anyone has tried to get a 265/65/17 under their lifted kj .or 265/70 on a 16" wheel.

because ive read that i can get a 245/70/17 duratrac under a kj with, lets say, an OME med./Bilstein lift(which i have) and the yokohama's in 265/65/17 are close to specs of smaller 245 duratrac, believe it or not. 265's are pretty close in measurement to most 31x10.5x15.

---------------------------------------sec. width-----tread width------O.D.

duratrac--- 245/70/17---------------9.8---------------8.1-----------30.6
yoko A-T/S 265/65/17---------------10.7--------------8.3-----------30.7

as u can see only the section width is drastically different. btw, i will be using my factory
17" wheels. would i need to also do clevis, was planning for 1 clevis with lift.

would spacers help ? if so, whats the smallest spacer out there ?

would really like the beef of these tires. alternatives would be 255/65, would not add clevis for this size. Or 255/70, but these have a big O.D. (31.3) which would make me lose too much low end torque, IMO.

might ask the tire place, which also sells used, to let me try on the bigger size of a used tire and see.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Little wide,will rub on sway bar,maybe pinch weld,maybe front bumper where the little door is.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how bad ? undriveable ?

ths is my DD and i am not worried about a little rub, dont need an off road juggernaut, i am willing to forsake some flex to have the most tire stuffed into the wheel well.

will do the pinch weld mod.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How do they compare to a 245/75/16? Same or less, they'll fit fine.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
depends on wheel width and backspacing and amount of lift
I have ran 245-75s, 255-70s, 265-70s and 265-75s on mine with Moabs ( 8 inches wide and 5 inches of backspacing, 4 inches of lift) and no problems
265-70s are almost the exact same height as the 245-70s ( in most brands)

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
What options are the tallest and widest that can safely be used on a stock KJ! Would like something a little more beefy than what is stock!

Moab

Reaction score
I've been toying with tire size on my 2" lift and 245/75 16's on 16x8 Moabs are great with probably a 265/70 16 as an option -for my set up. Offroad is pretty close with trimmed front plastic and trimmed pinch welds.

For stock height, it really depends on your wheel size and back spacing, and how you plan to use your Liberty.

There are alot of threads about tires and lifts in the forum. I've had many give me links and then I just started doing searches for specific issues.
The forum is loaded with info for just about everything once you figure out how to navigate.

I don't know what is on your Liberty now but maybe the stock Renegade size would work on a stock height Liberty. The Renagades may have run a wider tire. They also may have used a larger wheel.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If I'm reading this chart correctly, it says I can get some common D-Windows in 15x7 (not sure which back spacing Id want/need) and some 235/75/15 (Such as the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2) on a stock 2007 Sport 4x4 with no rubbing? I think the chart is saying that if the rim is 7" wide the tire will roughly be 9.2" wide and 29.3" in diameter.

My goal is to get the 15" D-Windows. I don't have a preference in the rim width but I read here that the 7" was advisible. I'm also not certain on the preferred backspacing but 4.5" seems to be the most commonly suggested. If backspacing was 4", would they stick out more as in a wider stance? So, what tire sizes (other than what I listed above), rim width, and backspacing would you guys recommend (no lift) for me? Post a pic if you got this setup!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on how much you have sagged, another Toledo area LOST member installed 7 inch soft 8s in a 15 inch with 30-9.50s and they rubbed like everything due to the springs settled

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much you have sagged, another Toledo area LOST member installed 7 inch soft 8s in a 15 inch with 30-9.50s and they rubbed like everything due to the springs settled

Dang. I just realized I had a brain-fade on the standard vs. metric tire sizing as well. I thought when I saw 31x10.5x15 that those were 31" tall! :eek: So, I guess when someone says 32"s won't fit without a lift, they mean 32" diameter, not "32"xNx15, correct?

I guess I can arrange for a $1000 lift at some point, I just don't know if I can take having a screwed up speedo/odometer, or worse acceleration.

BTW, since I cannot do a lift install myself(tools and an Apt), is $1000 a good price? They only quoted ~2.5" skyjacker lifts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Skyjacker= NO!!!
same spring rate as stock, way better options out there, go with OME coils please
OME 927s/ OME 948s