tire psi on the evic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just instaled one of the " There are some rare EVIC+PSI units that have both the PSI and Instant MPG functions"
from a 300m, thanks to this forum, it looks great works perfectly, total cost was about 50$

16.53 for the sensor, the wire was 5.04 the Evic was 28.59, 3.45 for the add a fuse tap, and 5.45 for a generic OBDII connector

I also did not splice any wires in the OBDII, I ran my wires into a blank connector, then pluged it into the OBDII plug and tucked the wires up out of the way

my question is
do the tire psi Sensors work through the stock cactus green pearl rims of my 02 Rene

would like to know before I buy them, I need tires this summer anyway so it would be a good time to put them in

thanks again for all the help other have given

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just instaled one of the " There are some rare EVIC+PSI units that have both the PSI and Instant MPG functions"
from a 300m, thanks to this forum, it looks great works perfectly, total cost was about 50$

16.53 for the sensor, the wire was 5.04 the Evic was 28.59, 3.45 for the add a fuse tap, and 5.45 for a generic OBDII connector

I also did not splice any wires in the OBDII, I ran my wires into a blank connector, then pluged it into the OBDII plug and tucked the wires up out of the way

my question is
do the tire psi Sensors work through the stock cactus green pearl rims of my 02 Rene

would like to know before I buy them, I need tires this summer anyway so it would be a good time to put them in

yes

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,

I just wanted to make sure before I Bought the 5 sensors

and just fyi, it said I ave 18.2mpg for the life of the Jeep 132,235 miles,

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the part #? I miss the instant mpg from my ram.

Part number of EVIC with TPMS and Instant MPG - 56042756AG

Part Numbers for the Sensors- 56053030AB

EDIT: I just saw you have a 2006 so these will not work for you. Models 2004 and newer can not use the EVIC with the instant MPG function.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I just saw you have a 2006 so these will not work for you. Models 2004 and newer can not use the EVIC with the instant MPG function.

A scangauge will read instant mpg plus a bunch of other stuff. It is plug and play too. Just thought I would mention that in case anyone is interested.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my question is

The TPMS sensors will fit in the rims but unless you have the TPMS system from the factory just adding them will do nothing.You need the TPMS computer and recieving modules to have a functioning TPMS system.That evic taps into the TPMS module for the tire pressures,no TPMS module no use for TPMS sensors.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TPMS sensors will fit in the rims but unless you have the TPMS system from the factory just adding them will do nothing.You need the TPMS computer and recieving modules to have a functioning TPMS system.That evic taps into the TPMS module for the tire pressures,no TPMS module no use for TPMS sensors.

I thought that was only for the 2005+ models, the how to ( http://theblakbox.com/lost/evic/ ) says all you need is the sensors, magnet and tpms evic for the 2002-2004 models. i have the evic and the sensors but haven't installed them yet so I hope the How To is correct.

Last edited:

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that was only for the 2005+ models, the how to ( http://theblakbox.com/lost/evic/ ) says all you need is the sensors, magnet and tpms evic for the 2002-2004 models. i have the evic and the sensors but haven't installed them yet so I hope the How To is correct.

I also found this from another thread

Before 2005 the TPMS system was all located in the EVIC and a training magnet was used to locate the sensors. 2005 and after the sensors were monitored thru the wireless module and three antenna were located one each in three of the fender wells. The newer TPMS determines which wheel the sensors are automatically and I think report the temperature of the tire.

anyone ever tried putting the wheel sensors on ther Jeeps for a 2002?

I don't need it, but If I can get it for the cost of sensors and the training magnet, then I would

I did see this on a different Jeep
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tpms.htm
ADDING THE TPMS TO WJ GRAND CHEROKEES

Note: It appears that some of the wheels used on 1999-2001 Grand Cherokees are incompatible with the tire pressure valve/transmitter stems, due to a larger ridge which does not allow the stem to seat properly. This has so far been confirmed for the Timberline wheel used on 1999-2001 Laredo models. A 2001 Laredo owner used an angle grinder on his Timbeline wheels to remove a 1/8" X 1-1/2" area of metal, which was at the outer edge of the ridge away from the bead/seat area. This allowed for the sensor to mount flush against the wheel and align perfectly with the valve stem hole.

So far we have confirmed that the 1999-up Silverblade #1, the 2001-up Rogue Chrome wheels and the 2001 Limited Silverblade 3 wheels are compatible with the sensors, with no alterations required. In addition, any wheel used on 2002-up models would be compatible. See our Factory wheels and tires page for information on the different wheels used on 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee's.

The Tire Pressure Monitor System can be easily added to 2002-2004 model year WJ vehicles, although it can be rather expensive if the required parts are purchased new from a dealer. The EVIC module inside the console must be replaced with the advanced version that includes the TPMS circuitry. There is no extra wiring required, the existing module is simply removed and replaced with the new one. Most EVIC modules are interchangeable. If you have the standard EVIC for example, you can upgrade and install either of the two step-up models. One adds HomeLink, and the other adds HomeLink plus the TPMS. The old module can be sold if desired to slightly offset some of the upgrade costs.

thanks again