Tire pressure monitoring system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMF454

Reaction score
My 05 has factory TPMS and I hate it. I put different wheels on and now the light on the dash won't go out. How can I disable it so the light will go out?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the sensors on your new wheels if your planning on keeping them. You can find folks on eBay selling them or go through the Dealership.

Taken from L.O.S.T posting regarding this:
There are two different tire pressure "sensing" systems on '05 KJs.

If you have the EVIC that displays pressure for each tire then you have a sensor mounted to the valve stem of each wheel, just like the system in earlier KJs. If you have this and you like to offroad, be careful lowering your tire pressure as you can break the sensors by crushing them.

If you just have the warning light then the vehicle actually has no idea what the pressure in your tires is, it is just sensing a difference in wheel speed (indicating different rolling diameters usually caused by reduced pressure in one or more tires) and illuminating the warning light if that difference is past its warning level. Odds are there is no way to deactivate this as it is a government mandated safety feature. It also may be illegal to modify or attempt to disable it, just the same as it is illegal to modify or disable other safety equipment (airbags, headlights, etc.)

-FreedomKJ

L.O.S.T

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SKREEM will need to be reprogrammed to have the TPMS turned off, that is the only way. Probably cost you the same as having a key added to the SKREEM, so aroun $40 for 3 minutes of work

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be thankful you don't live in the state that I do. The Jeep would not pass a state inspection with the light on.

zot72

Reaction score
The description quoted from L.O.S.T. isn't entirely accurate. There are two sensor-bearing variants of the '05 TPM; Base and Premium. If the EVIC shows you the pressures for each tire, you have premium. If it doesn't, but your factory wheels had the sensors, you have the base TPM. If your factory wheels are on your vehicle, and you aren't sure whether you're looking at a regular valve stem or a TPM valve stem, look at the cap — TPM caps have a rubber O-ring in them to keep moisture out of the sensor. For what its worth, the wireless receivers are different between the two systems as well; the base system has a single, central pickup and the premium has a pickup in three of the four wheel wells (both front and one of the rear).

I didn't know I had the TPM until the first time it went off. :) Then I wished I had the premium, so I knew which tire it's moaning about. (Now I know which tire has the slow leak, I just haven't had it fixed yet)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least they won't have to charge $200 to replace the unit..... :eek:

Yeah, depending on your area's economic situation, a shop charges $200 and up for the labor on replacing a SKREEM, alone, just to put it in and program in your keys and tire pressure sensors. The part itself is only around $80 and takes 10 minutes to install. Since it stores the Sentry Key RFID codes, though, it has to have them programmed in, by the dealer, for the car to run. Replacing a SKREEM runs $300 after the part.

I replaced my own SKREEM the other day in front of the dealer since they wanted $200 in labor to do it. Then pushed it into their bay in neutral and said program my keys. Nothing was wrong with my SKREEM, just had a project I am working on that required another one....

BMF454

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm not putting the stock wheels back on they are 17's. I found a guy selling liberty columbia edition wheels and tires for $200 for all five and the tires are in great shape. Plus down the road it will be eaiser to find 16" tires cheaper and more selection. I guess I'll just have to stare at the light. By the way I have the standard TPS system not the premium.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm not putting the stock wheels back on they are 17's. I found a guy selling liberty columbia edition wheels and tires for $200 for all five and the tires are in great shape. Plus down the road it will be eaiser to find 16" tires cheaper and more selection. I guess I'll just have to stare at the light. By the way I have the standard TPS system not the premium.

What happened to your original wheels? Could you have a shop switch out the sensors to the 16" wheels?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to your original wheels? Could you have a shop switch out the sensors to the 16" wheels?

This is the thing to do. I don't see why they couldn't just be switched. If you're not going to use the 17" rims you won't have to buy more sensors and your TPS system will then work.. Just my opinion.

p s - the spare needs to have a sensor in it too.

Dave

Last edited:

BMF454

Reaction score
I don't want to have them at all. Here in Colorado the temperature changes so much between day and night that the darn light constantly goes on and off. I want to leave them off and was wondering if there was a way to turn the system off. I think I will just unplug the bulb, thanks for the advice.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way I have the standard TPS system not the premium.

Doesn't matter what kind of TPMS you have, you still have to have the SKREEM reprogrammed to turn the feature off. Premium TPMS comes with the Premium SKREEM module and TPMS on, obviously. Base TPMS comes with the Base SKREEM, and no TPMS gets the Base SKREEM with the TPMS feature disabled.

Latest posts

Members online