Tire Longivity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sailorbowman

Reaction score
Is it abnormal to be getting such great tire life? I now have 75,000 miles on a 2006 Liberty, and can't find anyone that inspects tires and says that they need replacement. (and these are the guys that sell tires) Once in in an article of Click and Clack it was advised that after 5 years the tires should be replaced due to solar radiation issues.
Should I try and prove them wrong?
I have rotated the tires every 5,000 miles since new. The Liberty parks inside of a garage when not being used. It sees winter salt.
The reason that I bought it was for 4 wheel drive and it frankly put a grin on my chin with its awesome handling. Reminds me of a previous car- 1969 Trimuph TR250. Thats a british racing green for the young fellows here.
What a great car a Liberty is. Are the new ones as good? I might just have to go out and get me one if they are.
Retired Master Mechanic, auto and industrial.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand tires, and what kind of driving do you do?
I wouldn't try and prove anyone wrong with my life on the line. So if you feel they are slipping and sliding when they are not supposed to, or if they give you headache, just get rid of them. Tread depth does not mean tires still perform the way they were intended to, plus you may have just gotten used to their crappy handling. Who knows..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Car???:Bye:
We drive Jeeps, not cars! had to say it!:icon_twisted:
If you have the stock tires I would get them off ASAP! I had a hard time putting up with mine for 10,000 miles. With new tires it will handle way better in all conditions.
In 145,000 miles I have had 6 sets of tires, run them to half tread and sell them partly because I like to have good tread on all of the time and secondly I like to keep going BIGGER!!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
About the new KK's....there are very nice Jeeps. They are more refined, but still feel Jeep like. Ride and handling felt the same to me, but quietness was really noticeable, exhaust wise.

sailorbowman

Reaction score
I did replace the tires with the originals. (Goodyear Wrangler SR-A) They were replaced after 82,000 miles on 9Dec10. Their life was about 4 1/2 years. The replacement cost was just shy of $800 balanced and installed. Note to the naysayers...watch and learn.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very long tread wear = very hard tread compound
Very hard tread = poor traction ,even more so when cold
Poor traction = bad

I will watch but there is nothing for you to teach me
I already know

Cruiser

Reaction score
I barely got 27k out of the sra's and in fact have been through multiple sets of tires on my 2006 anniversary edition and have not been able to clear 30k by much. Had the SRA's, destination AT's, another AT cant remember (but they came off quick) and now bf long trail TA's and they are due again. Have about 96k miles on it. The tires wear even and drives straight as an arrow even at 95mph. Had it aligned once and it only took a slight tweaking of the toe.
This Kj also goes thru brakes like crazy. And doubt its my driving. My jk I got 70k from my toyo open country mt's and 40k from the factory sra's. now have nito terra grapplers on it showing no wear in 9k miles/18 months.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie has had exactly the opposite results. He does brakes about every 60k miles and has gotten around 60-70k per set of tires.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I barely got 27k out of the sra's and in fact have been through multiple sets of tires on my 2006 anniversary edition and have not been able to clear 30k by much. Had the SRA's, destination AT's, another AT cant remember (but they came off quick) and now bf long trail TA's and they are due again. Have about 96k miles on it. The tires wear even and drives straight as an arrow even at 95mph. Had it aligned once and it only took a slight tweaking of the toe.
This Kj also goes thru brakes like crazy. And doubt its my driving. My jk I got 70k from my toyo open country mt's and 40k from the factory sra's. now have nito terra grapplers on it showing no wear in 9k miles/18 months.

Hold on. You mean to tell us that you have BFG Long Trails, and they're worn out before 80,000?

The problem is not the Jeep, it's the loose nut behind the wheel.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2