Tire iron

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here bend their stock tire iron trying to remove their tires?
Does anyone find the stock iron to be deficient.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope never bent it , never use it, only a 4 way
Deficient, maybe if lug nuts have been hammered on

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my rear shocks and coil springs used a 4 way had them torqued to proper specs at the tire shop after then two weeks later did the rear brakes my brother borrowed the 4 way so used the stock iron and yes it bent even under stock torque spec lugs

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used my stock one plenty over the years. Still carry it as a spare. These days I just carry an electric impact to get them off and I have a breaker bar to tighten them back down.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never used mine, I have a 4-way I use.

Dave

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a 4-way in the trunk, but that's mostly just for changing other people's tires for them if I don't have a 1/2" socket for my breaker bar that fits their lugs.
I keep 15-25mm, and 1/2"-7/8" sockets in the jeeps toolbox for these events, but I've used that 4-way to get a couple people off the shoulder of the road(and out of my way :driver:)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I get a 4-way for every vehicle I drive, with some black tape marking the proper socket.

Stock lug wrenches are junk and lots of shops rattle-gun them on too tight.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only use this...............

You must be registered for see images attach

Work smarter not harder.

Same here... totally worth the cost of an electric impact JUST for tires. Granted, it works on other bolts too.

When I used to use the included tire iron, never bent it. Those of you with "stock torque" lugnuts, done by the shop... yeah, doubt it. The torque limiting adapter bars are usually no longer calibrated, if the mech uses them at all. Typically they just hit it with the impact gun on a lower setting.. figure that's good enough.

They never have trouble getting them off because their impact tools will do 700+ft lbs in reverse.. humans with a 16" tire iron dont.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... totally worth the cost of an electric impact JUST for tires. Granted, it works on other bolts too.

When I used to use the included tire iron, never bent it. Those of you with "stock torque" lugnuts, done by the shop... yeah, doubt it. The torque limiting adapter bars are usually no longer calibrated, if the mech uses them at all. Typically they just hit it with the impact gun on a lower setting.. figure that's good enough.

They never have trouble getting them off because their impact tools will do 700+ft lbs in reverse.. humans with a 16" tire iron dont.

I only zip them on with a impact to about 80lbs-ft then torque my lugnuts to 120lbs-ft via a calibrated torque wrench.

Same thing I do at work on every vehicle I take the wheels off.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^yeah, the Snap-on impact gun is nice if you are using it a lot.

Getting the lugs off after a shop used a power gun putting them on can be tough. Normally that does not happen to me unless I get new tires. I do all my own 5 tire rotations the old fashioned way with arm power....LOL

Dave

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 4-way on the road.

Take them off with my pneumatic impact, put them on with it to 80 ft-lbs, the lower and torque to spec by hand.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My impact lives at work most of the time lol don't really carry it with me for spare tire situations.. I can think of much better uses for it than to leave it in the back of my jeep.. much rather just leave my spare breaker bar I'm here

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My impact lives at work most of the time lol don't really carry it with me for spare tire situations.. I can think of much better uses for it than to leave it in the back of my jeep.. much rather just leave my spare breaker bar I'm here

Yeah mine stay's at work too unless I go wheeling then it get's put in the Jeep.Glad I took it to MOAB since I disassembled USAFCOP's L/F end(SFA) and pressed out/in new ball joints then reassembled the L/F end with it,took 1 bar out of 4 on the battery for alot of high torque nuts and pressing duty.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ryobi. After cracking the lugs by hand I spin off using the torque wrench. I do the opposite to get them back on.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine stay's at work too unless I go wheeling then it get's put in the Jeep.Glad I took it to MOAB since I disassembled USAFCOP's L/F end(SFA) and pressed out/in new ball joints then reassembled the L/F end with it,took 1 bar out of 4 on the battery for alot of high torque nuts and pressing duty.

That's usually where mines at with battery usage too.. switch the batteries over for charging on Wednesday and Friday mornings usually. Usually at 50% around Tuesday afternoon, but that's still plenty of power to break off lugs do I just hold off on switching them till the next morning