Tire Inflation Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavenbound

Reaction score
I bought my 06 KJ used, and it came with a set of Coursers on it. My TPM says that they are all inflated in the low 40s PSI. Out of curiosity I checked the drivers door sticker and it suggests inflation of 33 PSI. I know the higher pressure will get me better gas mileage. Is there any reason I should get them down to 33? I guess there could be a traction improvement this winter, but is there anything else?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should lower your tire pressure asap because the tires are generally only rated at max of 44 psi. and also running high tire pressure increases the chances of having a tire blowout.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Tire blowout" is almost always the result of heat buildup from UNDERINFLATION.

If you're satisfied with the way it rides,drives, and handles leave it alone, at least till bad road conditions. You don't mention if your Cooper built tires are standard load or heavier?

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
lower them some will give better ride, better tire wear ( now they would be running on the centers more than all the way across) handle better as well

heavenbound

Reaction score
Will do. Thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions if, when I replace these, I wanted to get some more aggressive looking tires without doing a lift?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions if, when I replace these, I wanted to get some more aggressive looking tires without doing a lift?

Depends on what you call aggressive :icon_lol:
Several good AT type treads out there that work well
Firestone Destination AT
General Grabber AT2 ( some think its a good tire)
Kumho Venture AT51 ( has been getting some great reviews)
Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure
those are a few I'd look at unless you want a really more mud only tread pattern

heavenbound

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check those out when I'm ready to replace. I love the look of your KJ and others like it. Unfortunately, mine is a daily driver which I drive to work about 80 miles per day, so I'm limited on what I can feasibly do.

EcoRenegade

Reaction score
How To: correctly check PSI and fill your tires.

I bought my 06 KJ used, and it came with a set of Coursers on it. My TPM says that they are all inflated in the low 40s PSI. Out of curiosity I checked the drivers door sticker and it suggests inflation of 33 PSI. I know the higher pressure will get me better gas mileage. Is there any reason I should get them down to 33? I guess there could be a traction improvement this winter, but is there anything else?

Every tire manufacturer should have the correct PSI rating listed on the side wall. My Goodyear ST's have 44 PSI on the sidewall. Another thing to note is that PSI rating is for a cold tire or one that has not been driven on for a while. Check your tire pressure when you have not been driving on them. Note how much under the rated PSI you are. Drive to an air pump and recheck the PSI, then add the amount you are under. This will bring you to the correct warm tire PSI. Under inflation is the biggest cause of overheating and increased failure rates.

Here's an eHow with more explanation:
How to Locate Proper Tire Pressures for Your Vehicle and Properly Inflate Your Tires

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every tire manufacturer should have the correct PSI rating listed on the side wall. My Goodyear ST's have 44 PSI on the sidewall. Another thing to note is that PSI rating is for a cold tire or one that has not been driven on for a while. Check your tire pressure when you have not been driving on them. Note how much under the rated PSI you are. Drive to an air pump and recheck the PSI, then add the amount you are under. This will bring you to the correct warm tire PSI. Under inflation is the biggest cause of overheating and increased failure rates.

How to Locate Proper Tire Pressures for Your Vehicle and Properly Inflate Your Tires
That psi listed on the tire itself is the maximum safe cold psi for max load.

The sticker inside your door jam is what you go by unless................

-you have larger/smaller tires then specified(this also includes +1,2,3 and -1,2,3 tires of the same overall diameter as specified)

-different load range

-different speed rating

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Way too much air in those

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check those out when I'm ready to replace. I love the look of your KJ and others like it. Unfortunately, mine is a daily driver which I drive to work about 80 miles per day, so I'm limited on what I can feasibly do.

Mines been a daily driver for over 11 years , well my only driver, could be why it has over 218,000 miles.:icon_lol::icon_lol:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can certainly go with a higher psi than what the door sticker says, even with stock tires. Keep in mind that the car manufacturers "recommendation" is a balance between gas mileage and ride comfort. In all my cars, I put more air in than whats recommended, to create less drag and yield better gas mileage. Now my brother, he likes to go up to the max pressure stated on the sidewall. Some people with a tender butt would likely complain to the car manufacturer about the harsher ride, if they upped the recommended psi like that. Also, "they" say over-inflating (going beyond the sticker amount) can/will cause uneven treadwear (more wear in the middle). Sorry, but that myth has been busted by years and years of personal experience.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can certainly go with a higher psi than what the door sticker says, even with stock tires. Keep in mind that the car manufacturers "recommendation" is a balance between gas mileage and ride comfort. In all my cars, I put more air in than whats recommended, to create less drag and yield better gas mileage. Now my brother, he likes to go up to the max pressure stated on the sidewall. Some people with a tender butt would likely complain to the car manufacturer about the harsher ride, if they upped the recommended psi like that. Also, "they" say over-inflating (going beyond the sticker amount) can/will cause uneven treadwear (more wear in the middle). Sorry, but that myth has been busted by years and years of personal experience.

So over inflation does not cause irregular tire wear? ( wearing center more) :icon_lol:OK ..........:thumbsdown:
From years of being in the tire business seen way too many good tires worn out in the center and sides still having tread left, but you know the old saying, the customers always right even if he is an ________ !

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So over inflation does not cause irregular tire wear? ( wearing center more) :icon_lol:OK ..........:thumbsdown:
From years of being in the tire business seen way too many good tires worn out in the center and sides still having tread left, but you know the old saying, the customers always right even if he is an ________ !

I can vouch for this. My last set wore more in the middle first because i aired them up to 35PSI constantly. (They were SL tires)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys must be using tires made from old recycled balloons! If airing more than recommended as I have been doing over the last few decades had resulted in any adverse effects, I wouldn't keep doing it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys must be using tires made from old recycled balloons! If airing more than recommended as I have been doing over the last few decades had resulted in any adverse effects, I wouldn't keep doing it.

Well here is about the only way it would work
when all you primarily do is city driving then there is a possibility that it may work out. BUT you'd have to keep up on regular rotations. Given that when turning your fronts are actually somewhat skidding across the road there would be some wear on the edges of course, so with regular rotations you may not notice it much.
Now if you are only talking 3-5 lbs then not enough to make a difference, just when you should be running 33-35 say and you're running 42-45 .
Listened to a lot of proper and recommended discussions over the years from everyone from Michelin to Goodyear/ Firestone.
Of course they also wantedto sell more tires as well :happy175::happy175:

heavenbound

Reaction score
Of course they also wantedto sell more tires as well :happy175::happy175:

That was my original thinking as well. Jeep doesn't make anything if I buy more tires. The tire manufacturer does. Probably better off trusting the one who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That was my original thinking as well. Jeep doesn't make anything if I buy more tires. The tire manufacturer does. Probably better off trusting the one who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

Ever buy any tires from Red down in New Martinsville?
Off track a bit but............I think his last shop was right above the bridge.
Used to work for Tire America back years ago he managed the N.M. store and I had Woodsfield