Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows the lug size of the stock spare tire carrier. Not the lugs that hold the wheel to the carrier but the lugs that hold the carrier to the rear tail gate. The ones on it now are crappy looking and the caps have come off of some of them. I want to put black ones on.

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows the lug size of the stock spare tire carrier. Not the lugs that hold the wheel to the carrier but the lugs that hold the carrier to the rear tail gate. The ones on it now are crappy looking and the caps have come off of some of them. I want to put black ones on.

Thanks.

There aren't any caps on the nuts that hold the carrier to the door unless someone had installed them sometime in a past life. Just regular nuts on bolts

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure on my 02 I have factory lug nuts holding the carrier to the door too. So should be 1/2-20 I believe. I could be wrong and haven't looked in a bit but can double check tomorrow. Might be an earlier model year thing Tom?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory lug nuts have a regular lug nut like on older cars but have a pressed on metal chrome cap. I think that's what he's referring too tommud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when that cap comes off your lug wrench doesn't fit NEAR as nice...:Insane:

That's why when I got my new rims I said GET THE SPECIAL LUG NUTS! Can't stand those factory ones.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The factory lug nuts have a regular lug nut like on older cars but have a pressed on metal chrome cap. I think that's what he's referring too tommud

Know what they are talking about, regular nuts hold the carrier on BUT BACK FEW YEARS AGO PEOPLE CHANGED THEM OUT FOR REGULAR lug nuts trying to cool

Latest posts

Members online