Timing belt or timing chain? A noob question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhinoculips

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a Liberty and can't seem to figure out if they have a timing belt or timing chain. Whats the recommended replacement interval?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
2.4s have a belt, CRDs have a belt, 3.7 V6s (which are the only engines in the KJ that are worth a damn ITBJHO) have a chain

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.4s have a belt, CRDs have a belt, 3.7 V6s (which are the only engines in the KJ that are worth a damn ITBJHO) have 3 chains
Fixed it for you:D

The 3.7 has no change interval for the timing chains,the 4.7 v-8 which uses the same setup(identical stuff) have been going well over 250,000+miles with the OEM chains and it's the tensioners that need to be changed before the chains.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Reading around the net, it seems that changing your oil regularly with a quality oil is very important for tensioner longevity. This is true for most any modern engine due to the tighter tolerances. Just throwing this out.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 Chains?? Ok i guess i'm space casing it here... I thought it was just two, what am i missing?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ITBJRC one goes up to a dummy cam in the block like on a GM 3.4 DOHC or an old Taurus SHO V6, then one to each cam

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like this I believe...

You must be registered for see images

1 - RIGHT CAMSHAFT SPROCKET AND SECONDARY CHAIN 2 - SECONDARY TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER (LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE NOT COMMON) 3 - SECONDARY TENSIONER ARM 4 - LEFT CAMSHAFT SPROCKET AND SECONDARY CHAIN 5 - CHAIN GUIDE 6 - TWO PLATED LINKS ON RIGHT CAMSHAFT CHAIN 7 - PRIMARY CHAIN 8 - IDLER SPROCKET 9 - CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET 10 - PRIMARY CHAIN TENSIONER 11 - TWO PLATED LINKS ON LEFT CAMSHAFT CHAIN 12 - SECONDARY TENSIONER ARM

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh interesting... Didnt know that as i haven't looked through the engine part of the FSM yet.