Time for new shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RENEGADEKEV

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i had my liberty lifted a couple of years ago with a 1.5" kit that was available at the time through just jeeps in ontario. however over time i have noticed that the front of the jeep has sagged. also i find that the jeep bottoms out quite easily i.e it hits the bump stop. now at the time i know they never upgraded the shocks in the front just the springs and i do have an after market bumper mounted up front along with a winch. so i guess the question here is - is it time to change the shocks as they have gone soft. if so what is a good upgrade available locally preferably. or do the springs need to be replaced as well?
any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks
kevin

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I personally would replace both the springs and shocks.
OME H/D and try and find some Rancho's.
(If you research via the interweb, you can still find the
17???part number shocks that are the best to use. They
Are still available, you just have to take the time to
Hunt them down is all or get the newest version instead!)
I have heard from fellow members here that the OME
Shocks are too soft of a ride.
I have driven LibertyTC's(Tim's) OME/Bilstein lifted KJ but
do not like it compared to our Frankenlifted KJ with Rancho
Shocks. A nice ride and all! Just too mushy fo my liking.

Last edited:

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my OME hd. They are all the way around and are perfect. The ride is not smooshy at least I don't think. I have a limited and wanted a nice ride but able to take abuse. I have the arb with winch and custom steel rear bumpers. Plus it takes speed bumps nicely at 45mph :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your Springs are shot. The bottoming out is not because of the worn out shocks. It is because the springs are weak and have sagged from the extra weight of the aftermarket bumper and winch. However, I am sure that the shocks are toast by now too. Especially since they have been overworked and bottomed out so much from the weak springs.

I would suggest a set of 4 OME springs and new OME, Rancho, or Bilstein shocks. Most use the OME 927 (heavy duty) springs on gasser KJs. But many that have heavy front bumpers and/or a winch go with the OME 790 front springs. They are made stiffer for the CRD, so they handle the added weight of the bumper and winch just fine.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Sounds like your Springs are shot. The bottoming out is not because of the worn out shocks. It is because the springs are weak and have sagged from the extra weight of the aftermarket bumper and winch. However, I am sure that the shocks are toast by now too. Especially since they have been overworked and bottomed out so much from the weak springs.

I would suggest a set of 4 OME springs and new OME, Rancho, or Bilstein shocks. Most use the OME 927 (heavy duty) springs on gasser KJs. But many that have heavy front bumpers and/or a winch go with the OME 790 front springs. They are made stiffer for the CRD, so they handle the added weight of the bumper and winch just fine.

Agreed!
Even with just a backbone and winch(No A.R.B bumper), I wish I had ordered a pair of 790's!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Love my OME 926 springs with the 948 rear, and Bilstein shocks, but the only weight I have on the front is tow hooks, and don't plan on anything else!

Latest posts

Members online