Time for my second water pump replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original water pump on my 2005 Renegade seized at 62K. I was just getting off the highway after a 4 hour trip and made it a mile off the exit when it went. That was not a fun day, but could have been worse at highway speeds.

I'm now at 132K and am hearing what I think is the same sound I ignored the first time. Kind of a hammering sound coming from low on drivers side. Its more prominent when accelerating and especially going uphill.

I'm asking for advice because honestly its been years and I cant say for certain its the same sound the first pump was making (plus the Jeep makes many more "sounds" since then). Should I bite the bullet and replace it?

No coolant leaks, no overheating, but I do notice temps spiking up to 225-230. Idiot gauge stays in the middle, I'm monitoring coolant temps with my wireless OBD-II module and iPhone app.

Thanks!

Last edited:

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had new thermostat, lower radiator hose replaced, upper Radiator hose replaced, new radiator cap and coolant flush and fill at 124K.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
128K on the original

If you have a mechanics stethoscope I would listen to the waterpump that way while youre idling to see if it is coming from there

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could always pop off the belt and give the different pulleys/components some independent twirls.
You should be able to hear or feel the offender.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
165k on my original. My Ranger with 150k is on it's third!

I never had one seize on a vehicle. Usually they start leaking and/or squealing way before that for me.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The replacement was not a MOPAR part. I hate to just throw parts at things but the bad experience makes me jumpy on this one.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. I would have to dig out the paperwork. I was 4 hours from home and towed to the nearest mom and pop shop that did the repairs.