Time for brakes. Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRealG

Reaction score
Hey guys, it appears it's time for brakes on all 4 corners and after looking through the FAQ and the how-to sections, I am not seeing a whole lot on the subject. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on pads/rotors to use. I'd like something that's a bit of an upgrade, but I don't want to go crazy with drilled/slotted unless you can recommend some that are a good deal. I'm still stock so I don't need any kind of super extra stopping power. Hoping to stay in the $250-$300 range for parts as I can do it all myself. Thanks!

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly those are a waste of money on these vehicles. Just some good OEM style rotors and either semi-metallic (better stopping but dirtier wheels) or ceramic (don't stop quite as good but cleaner wheels) pads.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the Powerstop Ceramic kits on Rockauto. I've had mine for probably 15000 miles and it's been great. Another good combo is Centric rotors and EBC greenstuff pads, but it's a little dusty.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with Powerstop kits.
I used to buy raybestos brakes, 20 years ago they were among the best. Alternatively I’d try Napa, they seem to be the only ones maintaining their brand quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on the cheap stuff. 2nd set of friction material all around, replaced a rear caliper, but same rotors since 2012 (~90,000km).

Driving stick really saves on the brakes IMO.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EBC brakes are very dusty and really are not worth the price. The EBC rotors are worth the price just not the brake pads.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wagner premium rotors with the edges and hats e-coated in black w/ bendix pads

Not that I’m a big fan for painted calipers on the jeeps but they do make red powedercoated calipers for nearly the same price as stock
I’m considering that if I need calipers but I didn’t.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wagner premium rotors with the edges and hats e-coated in black w/ bendix pads

Not that I’m a big fan for painted calipers on the jeeps but they do make red powedercoated calipers for nearly the same price as stock
I’m considering that if I need calipers but I didn’t.

Funny you should mention the red powdercoated calipers, I got a set for the Commander that were a open box amazon item, ridiculous price something like 50% off and no core. I bought them because I thought I needed to redo the front brakes since the rear calipers would lock up. replaced the all of the rear brake components and assumed I’d have to redo the front as well. Turns out the front are fine even all these years later. But the main reason I got the powdercoated calipers was because the rear remanufactured calipers rusted so easily. And that’s down here in the south no salt on the roads and no salt water exposure. How it looked really pissed me off.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention the red powdercoated calipers, I got a set for the Commander that were a open box amazon item, ridiculous price something like 50% off and no core. I bought them because I thought I needed to redo the front brakes since the rear calipers would lock up. replaced the all of the rear brake components and assumed I’d have to redo the front as well. Turns out the front are fine even all these years later. But the main reason I got the powdercoated calipers was because the rear remanufactured calipers rusted so easily. And that’s down here in the south no salt on the roads and no salt water exposure. How it looked really pissed me off.

I really like how they offer them already coated. My other vehicles I do spray them and have to re touch them every other year.
Costs too much to coat here unless you have a large order

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've upgraded to drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads and they do the job. Are the rotors any better? I don't think so. I think upgrading the brake pads was more helpful. Annoying too when they get clogged up with mud, though out here in CA mud only happens a few weeks a year. If they do get very muddy, I usually stop and wash them because it significantly decreases braking performance.

I have a question since we're on the subject. I've ordered the braided brake lines from JBA, and am patiently waiting for them. Does upgrading the brake lines help with responsiveness when breaking, or does it just fix the soft pedal when hard breaking?

Members online

No members online now.