Thermostat questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
Hey peoples.....

I got a 2003 liberty 3.7 v6 and it seems the thermostat has decided to join biggie and tupac.

The problem i have is that here in South Africa i cant find a replacement. None of the dealers here have and the "warehouse is also out of stock". Im trying the parts shops ect ut to date no luck.

I can get one via the stealership but they claim it is a 1 month waiting for parts from the USA.

My question is can i put the housing and hoses back and run the car minus the thermostat until i get one, and run the car like that.

I have done this with other older cars like 350 v8's and had no issues but was wondering if the water temp differentiates to much will the ecu throw its toys and put the car into limp mode.

Regards

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On my Land Rover LR3, the thermostat took a crap about a year ago (got stuck open....better than being stuck closed) and I drove it for about a month before I had time to replace it. It was ok, in the winter you'd barely get heat though. Did have a check engine light though. In the KJ with the T stat being low, I'd imagine loosing quite a bit of coolant when taking it off though.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
Hi. Well i already had to remove the thing to check it. Put it in the pot and let it boil up. The thing just tuned me toffee.
I am trying to find a place that has but in this lovelee cuntry "eish boss i need a sample" so this means i have to drive around like a monkey to every spares shop in a 100 km radius.

Just makes me angry that not one single dealership or the warehouse has stock.

Oh well if i dont come right in the next day ill just put the houseing and hoses back fill the coolant and bleed it and the order one thru the stealers.

Latest posts

Members online