Thermostat Housing Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrenGun

Reaction score
Decided to re-post this as its own topic, but long story short, I replaced the water pump, belt and thermostat on my '03 December 2012 and now...
just had a problem after all this time. Got home to notice a small bunch of drops of coolant. Its coming from where the hose joins the thermo housing, but I cannot figure out why its leaking? Nothing seems loose. I double checked the housing bolts, the hose clamp is tight, but how is coolant getting forced from the hose and clamp? Could there be a crack in the housing? The hose was replaced when I did the water pump, so its not that old.
Two clues- Over the past year and a half I've seemingly lost tiny bits of coolant so that I've been topping off the overflow tank constantly maybe once a month. I couldn't figure that out why I was always filling it. I just figured for a long time that it took this long to work all of the air from the system and that it was slowly bleeding itself. I never saw any coolant on the ground before now.
Second, granted its been a cold winter, but even last summer, it seemed to take forever to warm up. Today the needle got very close to where it should be, but not quite as warm as it normally is. It has never overheated or gone above what should be normal.
When I replaced the thermostat it was difficult to figure out which end was up as well as whether I possibly had it in backwards. There is a rubber o-ring that was supposed to be indexed to the thermostat with a rubber tab that wasn't a part of the o-ring that I got so I wonder if that could have something to do with it? Is there supposed to be some sort of small air bleed hole in the body of it? More of my confusion stemmed from the fact that I don't think mine had one... Any ideas before I have to drain this whole mess this weekend?
PS. I've been reading alot of bad reviews on this particular Stant thermostat as not fitting correctly... ToughOne-Thermostats Thermostat, 195 Degrees Fahrenheit 14369: Find car thermostats from the experts at Advance Auto Parts.
Thinking I may order one from RockAuto, a Motorad Fail Safe and replace it along with the housing, but I'd like to get an idea of what would cause it to leak....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a thermostat from the dealer, I would never run one from *utozone etc By a good one and start at that , I know it hasn't been that long but also get a new lower hose and then you are sure

BrenGun

Reaction score
Could the thermostat be the cause of the leak? If it were stuck closed? But wouldn't it have overheated? I don't mind searching one out through the dealer if necessary, but I'm wondering what went wrong as well. I'm still wondering if the missing air bleed hole could have something to do with it Or the misalignment of the thermostat itself?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use any t-stat in a 3.7 that is not from the dealership,same goes for the o-ring.Never,ever use those "safety" t-stats,they always fail in 15mins or less.

The t-stat housing is plastic,easily warped.I'd get a new housing and seal.A OEM style spring clamp is best over any type of worm drive clamp to seal that hose connection.

Oh and did they put the spring back into the lower hose? If not that can and will cause issues.

BrenGun

Reaction score
Thanks, TJKJ, I'll check out the dealer for the thermo and replace the housing/ seal. Still using the original spring clamp too. It looks fine, but I was wondering if the metal could have fatigued and allowed it to loosen a bit.
As far as the spring in the hose. I'll have to check that out. I'd think that if there was one in the original hose then I would have re-used it, but I honestly don't remember there being one in the first place.

Latest posts

Members online