there's somethin' about the kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eff

Reaction score
hi, i am new here and have been eating up the info you all have been kind enough to share with us new owners.
I am about a 2 day old owner of a 2003 kj limited that has 108k easy miles on it and i must say, i reeaallly like it!:licklips:
I was looking real hard at 2nd gen, then 3rd gen Toyota 4runners, but couldn't quite pull the trigger on a deal as the best rigs were some distance away and as much money as newer Jeeps.
Also, I needed to look at newer rigs as my wife was making faces about another older rig in our driveway. nono.gif

Anyway, there is an intangible quality to the Jeep Liberty, but i can't say exactly what it is.
There is also some idiosyncrasies too... like not being able to put stuff on the dash- or being able to put big tires on without all the horsing around! I mean a 31" tire aint that big, and the kj has to be lifted to do that!:wtf2:
I didn't know that going into it- oh well- One question has come up in my mind in figuring out the inevitable suspension lift to come-
I don't think having a factory tow package should impact the installation or lift kit options available, but my rear measurements seem high.
I have 19.25" at the rear, both sides. Is that reasonable for a rig with 108k miles on it?
but that is probably another story, so i will leave it at that.
I love my new Jeep and look forward to adding some equipment to it as much as it will allow.
thanks for your great site,
Eff

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome)

Have any pictures of your new to you KJ?

At that mileage 19.25" in the rear seems high - but I wouldn't complain too much. And since it reads like you'll be upgrading the suspension at some point anyway, I wouldn't really worry about it too much...

Unless, of course, there's a problem.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think having a factory tow package should impact the installation or lift kit options available, but my rear measurements seem high.
I have 19.25" at the rear, both sides. Is that reasonable for a rig with 108k miles on it?
but that is probably another story, so i will leave it at that.

Welcome to forum. 19.25 is high for wheel center to rear fender if your 100% stock. Especially if 108K miles. Do you have a picture of the rear springs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Eff.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
measure the front middle of wheel to bottom of flare
tells us more
Tow package doesn't mean jack when talking about lifts, someone may have added something if they did tow a lot though or (gasp) even upgraded the rear springs