The smell!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so now that jeep 1 is back together I need to deal with some of the leaks. I believe this is causing the horrible smell in the cabin when on fresh air, but a question remains.

If the fresh air inlets are external of the engine (like on every car made) why would something internal to the engine bay have that much impact to the cabin air?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I'm not really answering your question, but have you cleaned the return air grille behind the glove compartment? You might have enough leftover funkiness going on in there to cause the problem without it actually coming in from the outside.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm not really answering your question, but have you cleaned the return air grille behind the glove compartment? You might have enough leftover funkiness going on in there to cause the problem without it actually coming in from the outside.

I have not! I will start with that big thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
See post 3 & 4 for Prof's behind the glove box screen Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/ac-recirculate-setting-issue-not-blowing-hard-51738/

So what leaks? Is it a moldy smell or oil burning or coolant or?
Below the windshield with pull up plastic pin type clips, remove the cowling disconnect washer fluid line, bend it & remove it.
Here you can vacuum the air intake screen, & post a picture of what's collecting in your screen !
57446[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

You could even spray past screen with some smell good febreeze or a pro type product like End Bac Spray Disinfectant.

Attachments

• Air%20Intake%20Jeep.jpg
    Air%20Intake%20Jeep.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See post 3 & 4 for Prof's behind the glove box screen Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/ac-recirculate-setting-issue-not-blowing-hard-51738/

So what leaks? Is it a moldy smell or oil burning or coolant or?
Below the windshield with pull up plastic pin type clips, remove the cowling disconnect washer fluid line, bend it & remove it.
Here you can vacuum the air intake screen, & post a picture of what's collecting in your screen !
[ATTACH=full]57448[/ATTACH]
You could even spray past screen with some smell good febreeze or a pro type product like End Bac Spray Disinfectant.

Thanks I'll do that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so now that jeep 1 is back together I need to deal with some of the leaks. I believe this is causing the horrible smell in the cabin when on fresh air, but a question remains.

If the fresh air inlets are external of the engine (like on every car made) why would something internal to the engine bay have that much impact to the cabin air?

If the right/passenger valve cover gasket is leaking, the oil will drop on the catalytic converter and burn off. The smoke rises and is sucked into the fresh air intake and gives you that glorious smell. If it is a valve cover leak you'll notice the burning oil smell at stop lights especially.

Bob

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the right/passenger valve cover gasket is leaking, the oil will drop on the catalytic converter and burn off. The smoke rises and is sucked into the fresh air intake and gives you that glorious smell. If it is a valve cover leak you'll notice the burning oil smell at stop lights especially.

Bob

I'm thinking it's the leak, glove box vent was cleaned. Will try the other tomorrow.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooo that smell cant you smell that smell. If its oil thats probably it. If its stale moldy something got wet and didnt dry quick enough.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What ever goes bad it in it, gets warm I assume and that's what it does when it dies and it's right by that air intake screen.