The Front Seats are Killing Me...!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T^2

Reaction score
I've been looking into buying a new CRD Limited. Something was bothering me about the Vehicle, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I took a friend down and had him drive it. He figured it out right away. It's the front seats.

The front seats are too short and don't provide support for you legs out far enough toward your knees. I can imagine that my circulation would eventually be cut off and my legs would go numb on a long drive.

Has anybody else noticed this with the seats? I know its an off road oriented SUV, but that's no excuse for designing it with uncomfortable seats.

I like everything else about the vehicle. However, these seats may be a deal killer...

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the main thing I don't like about the Liberty. We've driven 10 hr days several times and it's a killer. I'm 6'1", my wife is 5'5" - she was actually the first to complain. Plus on the driver's side there is no room for the right foot to move around a bit.

The 05s are supposed to have better seats - anybody been able to compare over medium-term?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am 6'5" and have put many long hours in the driver's seat with no problem on my '02 sport. However, I must say that some of my friends and family have complained about this, but I have never had a problem :-k

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 02 adjustable limited seats w/ leather/pleather and they get a little uncomfy at times. Sometimes I'll raise the back of the seat up a little so the front of it isn't pushing into my leg as bad. The heat helps a lot too.

I think most of my woes are from the tennis court and skiiing etc., not necessarily the seats themselves.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I used to complain about the seats. They're good and broken in now..... they don't seem to hurt my lower back as much as they used to. However, what's bothering me now is a hip cramp caused by the location of the pedals. This, combined with the lack of room to move your right foot is my biggest gripe with the Libby.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
The only complaints about my seats, is that I can't adjust the tilt, since the handle broke off. Otherwise there good seats for me, but I'm only 5'8".

Bennett

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5'11" here, of late I've been using a lumbar cushion though I dont believe it to be because of the Jeep's seats (been using/needing it for a while in all seating situations).

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that the leg positioning and the gas pedal has given me aches. I've had to slide the seat back a bit more than I'd like to get my leg into a comfortable position. I'm 5'10" or so. I think it would have a lot to do with whether you have power seats or not. Mine aren't. Power ones might have the up/down adjustment. Dunno. I've owned several vehicles and this is the only one I've noticed this problem on.
Rescu2000

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a limited with leather and I bad back. I love my seats. I even go into my Jeep and turn the seat heater on to help relieve back pain.

Ian

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 5' 11", love the leather seats. Comfortable, good support, feels nice! My wife is' 5' 3", and she can finally see over the steering wheel in our KJ. \:D/

Jimm

Reaction score
T^2 said:
I've been looking into buying a new CRD Limited. Something was bothering me about the Vehicle, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I took a friend down and had him drive it. He figured it out right away. It's the front seats.

The front seats are too short and don't provide support for you legs out far enough toward your knees. I can imagine that my circulation would eventually be cut off and my legs would go numb on a long drive.

Has anybody else noticed this with the seats? I know its an off road oriented SUV, but that's no excuse for designing it with uncomfortable seats.

I like everything else about the vehicle. However, these seats may be a deal killer...

Same problem I HAD!! I cut a piece of foam like a wedge laid it on the seat and covered the front seats with sheepskin covers from sams. Also built a dead pedal. It helps a lot especially on long trips. Have to have the seat all the way back.
The foam made the seat flatter, easier to move around. The only bad part is you sit higher. I was ready to sell it before I did this now it's ok.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
having driven a neon prior to this.....
the seats are 100 times better.....

I beg to differ... My neon seats fit me 100 times better than the Liberty seats. I drove from Toronto (area) to Houston, TX and back in the neon, nothing but pure driving bliss as far as seat comfort, but I'll get back to this issue when I've got 250,000 kms on the Liberty. \:D/ At that mileage there's a distinct possibility that my fat a$$ has worn my neon seats into a form fit for me :) :-k

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We also had a Neon previously. I'm 6'3", my wife is 5'7" and neither of us has problems with the seats inthe Neon or the Liberty. I think it has to do with where you position you seat and feet so that the front of the seat is not putting pressure on the underside of your thighs.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
4Factor said:
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
having driven a neon prior to this.....
the seats are 100 times better.....

I beg to differ... My neon seats fit me 100 times better than the Liberty seats. I drove from Toronto (area) to Houston, TX and back in the neon, nothing but pure driving bliss as far as seat comfort, but I'll get back to this issue when I've got 250,000 kms on the Liberty. \:D/ At that mileage there's a distinct possibility that my fat a$$ has worn my neon seats into a form fit for me :) :-k

dont get me wrong, i've had a many long trips with my lil red 4-******, and not once did i complain about the seat's being crappy...or anything. drove it to toronto and ohio many many many times.....the only gripe i had with it was i really couldnt move much...as opposed to the jeep, I can stretch out my legs a bit more than on the neon....(i was all the way back on the rails with the neon, and i still got about 3-4 clicks on the jeep)

the seats on the jeep i feel are a bit more cushioned (only had a base neon) and...ur probably right tho..my fat ass is still probably imprinted on the neon seats....well it's pretty much imprinted on the jeep's as well...heh...

oneLibLover

Reaction score
These seats ARE too short! My brother bought an '04 wrangler and his seats are the best!!! Much longer....oh how I wish I could trade seats. ](*,)

KJ Kid

Reaction score
Now see, I am 5-10 and my wife is around 5-1 (if she's lucky) and we have had absolutely no problems with the seats in our Limited. We were actually thinking about putting more of an aggresive bucket seat in it, but decided that we like our seat way to much. By the way, we actually just got back from driving out to Arizona from Delaware in it. No problems here. It was quite comfy to "sleep" in too. LOL

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marty said:
That's the main thing I don't like about the Liberty. We've driven 10 hr days several times and it's a killer. I'm 6'1", my wife is 5'5" - she was actually the first to complain. Plus on the driver's side there is no room for the right foot to move around a bit.

The 05s are supposed to have better seats - anybody been able to compare over medium-term?

I just remembered something that my gf and I noticed. We rented an (early) '03 as well as an '04, and we bought an '04 with this in mind.

Having rented and driven the '03 for about 6 hours, our only complaint was that the front passenger had very little foot room and it made for an uncomfortable seating position. However it wasn't enough to detract us from renting one the next year, this time we happened to get an '04. First thing we noticed is the increase in foot room for the passenger, as well as a bit more for the driver. At the time we just chalked it up to a small design change, and we remembered this change when it came time to purchase our Liberty... '04 or nothing!

Now that I've involved myself in the KJ community and learned a few things about the different years, my conclusion is this...

Prior to July 01, 2003 the Liberty was built with a larger transmission, this most likely accounts for the reduced footwell area in those models.

Members online

No members online now.