The BatCar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My turn to be the noob, lol.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve all been there! :)
I should probably mention that wherever I go, I turn out to be the weird guy.:D I’m neither your typical automotive nor off-road enthusiast. I’m a Geek. It’s been almost twenty years since I had to move on from the Bug, and I’m curious about geeking on a big machine again. There’s also thousands of miles of National Forest roads within a two-hour radius to explore, and some dunes, even.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I should probably mention that wherever I go, I turn out to be the weird guy.:D I’m neither your typical automotive nor off-road enthusiast. I’m a Geek. It’s been almost twenty years since I had to move on from the Bug, and I’m curious about geeking on a big machine again. There’s also thousands of miles of National Forest roads within a two-hour radius to explore, and some dunes, even.
Heck, Liberty cheaper to wrench on than Bugs right now anyway. Been waiting on the front wiring harness and chopped front end for over a year now.

• Wow
Reactions: klc

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the BatHooks today. It took about three and a half hours as I slowly worked my way through. The service manual is a little vague on some of this, for instance it didn’t mention the side marker lights. Also had a bit of trouble locating the down below screws, they were further back than I realized. But the work is done, and no blood was shed.

Attachments

• FCB9A0FE-C102-4198-8F45-C335580741B4.jpeg
    FCB9A0FE-C102-4198-8F45-C335580741B4.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 15
  • D64D16B0-D73D-4AF2-8E74-CC197008D2FE.jpeg
    D64D16B0-D73D-4AF2-8E74-CC197008D2FE.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 15
  • F24E8A6C-18F8-4DEE-A1BB-42003BD9E41D.jpeg
    F24E8A6C-18F8-4DEE-A1BB-42003BD9E41D.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I installed the BatHooks today. It took about three and a half hours as I slowly worked my way through. The service manual is a little vague on some of this, for instance it didn’t mention the side marker lights. Also had a bit of trouble locating the down below screws, they were further back than I realized. But the work is done, and no blood was shed.
No blood sacrifice to the machine gods!?!?
Oh no.

• Haha
Reactions: klc

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooooooo………

I knew my spare tire was old, but I didn’t realize it was ‘Manufactured in 2000’ old. I’m getting it replaced today so I’ll have five matching tires. Once I removed it from the back I found this:

Attachments

• DEAAC6BC-7476-4673-804E-6FAF6BC1A160.jpeg
    DEAAC6BC-7476-4673-804E-6FAF6BC1A160.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 18

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can flip that part if you have to fit a little larger tire. Maybe.
Okay, cool. I don’t think anyone’s had big tires on it though. Rim size shouldn’t make any difference, right?

But Holy Dry Rot, Batman, I’m lucky I never had to put it on the ground. Then I’d have two flat tires.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying these out today. They’re sold as 3157’s but I decided to put them in the stern ports to see what happens. I did have to flip the first one to get it to illuminate. I half expect these to morph into some sort of Ray Harryhausen mechanical locust critter.

I’ve gotten into the habit of backing into my driveway, and there’s a window that lets me check all the lamps in my rear view. Everything I’ve bought is working fine so far. If these behave I’ll get another pair for the bow next month.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brake lights

High mount brake light

Reverse lights

License plate and reading lamps

Courtesy lamps

Side markers

Rear dome lamps

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Soooooooo………

I knew my spare tire was old, but I didn’t realize it was ‘Manufactured in 2000’ old. I’m getting it replaced today so I’ll have five matching tires. Once I removed it from the back I found this:
That's just the rollover indicator in case you aren't sure if the Liberty is on its roof.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I have some pictures out of the old camera. I went along Highway 31, the Oregon Outback Scenic Byway and made my way to Alturas, CA for the night. A good fifty miles off pavement, I saw as many Pronghorns as vehicles while out in the bush. Then I circled around to Klamath Falls before heading for home. Near Fort Rock on open range.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little Sandy Butte turned out to be a volcano. On one of the roads to Lava Beds National Monument. First technical ascent and descent with the BatCar.

Latest posts