The 2022 Great Desert Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Headed back out to the West desert to do some pay to play trilobite digging. Went well. Was gonna head up to sinbad overlook to camp after, but the frequent storms made me think twice. The road there is tricky when it’s dry, so decided to just camp in the Wheeler Amphitheater.

Attachments

• 7F0BA2A0-5953-4B96-9DD9-2C4100A12D13.jpeg
    7F0BA2A0-5953-4B96-9DD9-2C4100A12D13.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 5
  • 150D1A60-7D28-4C5C-803C-6479DD9BD53F.jpeg
    150D1A60-7D28-4C5C-803C-6479DD9BD53F.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 5
  • D5985010-E1AB-4700-B4C3-63CFB3A17D30.jpeg
    D5985010-E1AB-4700-B4C3-63CFB3A17D30.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 7D8F5192-A458-4CF1-9632-321E71884C1F.jpeg
    7D8F5192-A458-4CF1-9632-321E71884C1F.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 772E2381-8635-4A7E-8FB4-904B2EA2E273.jpeg
    772E2381-8635-4A7E-8FB4-904B2EA2E273.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 5

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Uneventful yet relaxing evening. It rained a ton. I watched as the Jeep trail in submerged under about a meter of water.

No worries, it will be gone by morning, right?

Wrong.

Too deep to risk driving through solo. Have to find a different route out.

Managed to do so, but had to go pure off road…and that’s when the passenger front lower ball joint broke…

No worries, have an emergency spare! Of course this is when I discovered I neglected to pack any tools for swapping one out…

So, had to get creative. Pulled the knuckle, pulled the wheel bearing, then heated the thing on my propane campfire box. Got the busted one out.

The replacement moog just didn’t want to go in and it’s getting dark. I’m miles off the road and hidden in a small arroyo. No one can see me.

So, after taking stock of what I have available, I crank the fridge down as low as it will go and throw the ball joint in with what remains of my ice. I heat the knuckle back up on the firebox. It’s now dark, and there’s not really a good place to camp.

I rig all my lights and the use my 2lb mini sledge and hammer in the ball joint with extreme predjudice.

Exhausted with many small burns, I managed to get the dang thing in with minimal damage. It ain’t perfect, but it’s enough I can drive into town and do it right. The top of the ball joint is hammered all to hell, but it will work good enough.

I don’t even bother setting camp, I just pass out on my bedroll in the open.

I woke up screaming. Scorpion got me on the neck. Never been hit by one before. I’m in agony and can barely see straight. It’s still dark.

I duct tape a cold pack over the sting site and throw on all the lights to find my way back to a road. It takes hours.

Now I’m nauseated and can barely think straight, but I make it back to Delta around sunrise. I must be mildly allergic as my eyes are all but swollen shut.

Thankfully, the VA gives hydroxizine to us twitchy vets. It’s actually an antihistamine, but it works really well in small doses to induce sleep and reduce the impact of anxiety. I pop four times my proscribed dose.

I am waiting at the door when the autoparts store opens, covered in mud, face and neck swollen, and Bert is very obviously out of alignment.

I explain the situation. The parts store is on the Main Street frontage, so no parking lot to work in…and the only alignment shop is next town over, miles out of my way.

I get a warranty moog ball joint. Lucky me, only one in stock. I rent a press and then drive, painfully, down to the Dollar Tree parking lot.

Somehow, in between the dry heaves, I get the replacement moog in. At some point shortly thereafter I must have passed out… might have eaten one too many of the hydroxizine…

I’m awoken by a knuckle jab to the sternum by an EMT.

“You OK? What happened?”
I slur out the story.
“You want to go to a hospital?”
Nah, I’ll be fine. Just need coffee. Send the bill to the VA.
“You sure? You’re in pretty bad shape.”
I’m sure. I’ve had enough adventures this week. I just want to get on the road and to the KOA site I reserved in Vernal…then home…

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Still out of alignment, but I need sleep. The drive to the KOA is miserable, but I make it there fine and sleep for about 12 hours. Thankfully I had noise canceling headphones with me.

Never ever again will I stay at a KOA.

Rest of the trip is uneventful, but I make it home.

Adventure!

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome. I'd love to hear more of how you managed to get balljoints on/off without tools. And this reminds me, you should get a front and rear LSD. Having spent some time out in the four corners region, I can attest to how rough it can be. Major props... and since I live in Nor. Cal where people occasionally bump into real nature, we have a lot of Subaru believers which I also like to poke fun at (actually Tesla folks are my all time favorites); though, it's coming from a place of understanding because I also used to own a Subaru. I got stuck one too many times with that girl and that's why I drive a Jeep.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome. I'd love to hear more of how you managed to get balljoints on/off without tools. And this reminds me, you should get a front and rear LSD. Having spent some time out in the four corners region, I can attest to how rough it can be. Major props... and since I live in Nor. Cal where people occasionally bump into real nature, we have a lot of Subaru believers which I also like to poke fun at (actually Tesla folks are my all time favorites); though, it's coming from a place of understanding because I also used to own a Subaru. I got stuck one too many times with that girl and that's why I drive a Jeep.
Oh, I had tools, just not the right ones for the job. Laws of thermodynamics saved my buttocks. Desperate situations call for desperate measures. Never underestimate the power of fear to help you get the job done.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Fear got me through college ten years ago, and I ended up with a high GPA. I was terrified every day clear until the end. Kept me focused.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FEAR can be said for marriages as well
Got me through 3 marriages and 4 extended live ins
Now currently no fear though, wife number 4 lives a few states away LOL

I started taking college classes in 1972 , just finishing up my 31st class currently LOL
some day I will be educated ..................

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Mostly it was embarrasing as I am generally equipped to deal with anything on these enduro trips. I mean, I watched a LOT of Mac Guyver as a kid!

Latest posts

Members online