Thanksgiving Detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It'd be a good idea to at least the clay the area you'll be buffing, get rid of all the dirt, less chance of getting a marring...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Okay - I'll keep that in mind. :) Maybe if I go section by section... 1st w/clay, then buff... then it'll come out okay.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep...Meguire's sells a kit for $17 or so, includes the Quik Detailer (lube for clay), Cleaner Wax, and a Micro Fiber towel. Good starter kit. The Mother's kit is nice too, no wax included, but I got it on sale at Advanced a few months ago for $8 less then the Meguire's, and has more clay.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I have the Maguires one already... used it once this summer. Very nice. :cool:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I just didn't have anything (or know what was good) for the buffer yet... I typically do it by hand, but I don't have that kind of time on Saturday. Still want it to look better for Sunday. :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My buffer is a cheapie, Wax Master. It's 3 years old, don't know where I got it. Wal Mart has some for $20, but I have no idea on how they are built....

A professional buffer or DA polisher will run a good $200

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I picked up a buffer from Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago for under $20. It's a 10" diameter one - I have to find more bonnets for it though because the one that it came with is crap.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Not this time of the year up this way. I checked today. Had to get them from Auto Zone.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I do have a brand new pack of them, they're too big for mine, should've told ya that earlier...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
So I buffed the trail rash out today... I used the bonnet they suggest for vehicles with oxidation... made a bigger difference in getting the trail rash out, for sure!

Thanks for the product recommendations! It came out great! (cool)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't have any before pictures... and didn't think to take after ones either since changes are really kind of difficult to see with the silver paint. :rolleyes:

Trust me... everyone that has seen my KJ recently commented on how much better it looked now that most of the trail rash is gone. There are only a couple of spots on the passenger side that I'll have to do again or wet sand.

Latest posts

Members online