Take It Easy On Me, Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I know you're going to think I'm nuts... but I'm giving my beloved 2003 Libby to my Grandson and am having a very difficult time finding a low-mileage 2007 Libby to replace it... so I'm thinking maybe I should take a look at the Patriot :(
I know all the faults with the Patriot, CVT, 4-cyl engine, etc., but it looks a lot like my old Cherokee that I really loved.
What other choice do I have, except to just keep searching?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id keep searching, check out dealers/dealer sites, autotrader, cars. com, or even consider a wj or xj before getting a patriot.....thats just me though. I dont know what the market is like in florida but up here you can find any of those in seconds. Alos would help to know budget

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep looking. Avoid the Patriot. You'd be better off with a good condition XJ or WJ like already stated. You may have to go a little further north of Florida to find a good KJ if you can't find one there.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ehh. Friend of mine has one and blew up the alternator. They are a pain in the ASS to work on.

Though I have to say the oil pan and the steering rack look a lot easier to fix than on a KJ.

WK is the same platform as the KJ. Why not take a look there?

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id keep searching, check out dealers/dealer sites, autotrader, cars. com, or even consider a wj or xj before getting a patriot.....thats just me though. I dont know what the market is like in florida but up here you can find any of those in seconds. Alos would help to know budget
Budget is around $7,000.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
WK is a completely different platform. Did you mean KK? Although a KK to me feels like a little WK.

I love my XJ. So much fun to drive. I loved my WJ too. My WK was a great vehicle, but I don't know if I'd say it was a great Jeep. My KL feels more Jeep like than the WK did actually. The WK for its mileage had a lot of major issues. Had 100k on it when I traded it in, had rust starting in the tailgate (despite meticulous washing), had some interior rattles that the KJ doesn't have, trans was starting to go into limp mode randomly with no CEL, blower motor would randomly quit working when it got hot outside, AC was making a sucking noise which I concluded was the evaporator core leaking. I only did oil changes and tire rotations on it, then decided to trade it.

I'd go north to GA and get a 4x4 KJ. I remember when I lived in Tampa I got one of two 4x4 KJs in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete and Orlando areas. Would've had to go to GA to find more 4x4s. Or look for a WJ or XJ. Maybe even an XK, but that would be the same as a WK.

Just saw your budget, find an XJ, KJ or WJ. You won't find a WK or XK in good shape for 7k.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep looking for a KJ and why only a 2007 ?
Other years are much better IMO

The Pat may sort of look like a XJ if you look sideways at it, but its not anything like it.

john43028

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Edmunds consumer reports for the patriot.Way Too many reports of
serious mechanical problems and a lot of negative reviews in general. We liked
the styling of the patriot also but all the negative reviews led us to the liberty.
Check out the liberty reviews at the same site! Good luck! JB

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep looking for a KJ and why only a 2007 ?
Other years are much better IMO.

I want to stay with the 1st Gen KJs... don't like the 2008s very much.
Also, I'm not able to travel very far so I'm trying to locate Jeeps within about 50 miles of the Orlando area.
I just started looking at the 2006 KJs too, which gives me more choices.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to stay with the 1st Gen KJs... don't like the 2008s very much.
Also, I'm not able to travel very far so I'm trying to locate Jeeps within about 50 miles of the Orlando area.
I just started looking at the 2006 KJs too, which gives me more choices.

Well you keep looking for 06-07s that will keep you away from the 02-04s I'm always looking for !:happy175:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Carmax? Great search platform, they will also ship from out of area (for a price).

Best of Luck

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you keep looking for 06-07s that will keep you away from the 02-04s I'm always looking for !:happy175:

If anyone's interested, I found a 2006 Renegade with only 9?K miles for sale near me (Leesburg FL). Seller said it needs an engine. Don't know price, but can send their address if anyone wants to contact them.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I have the same question as tom, why anot 06 or 07???
Not much difference between and 02-05 than there is 06-07.. unless for some reason you want drive by wire.. but myself I'd rather not have it and the associated electronics. Many have issues with them, and I'd be looking for a low mileage/low rust 02-04 if I was you...

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied... I took the majority's advice and bought a 2006 KJ Sport... 104K miles but looks brand new inside and out, needs new tires, but I got a fair price so I can afford that expense.

d3m0nss

Reaction score
Ehh. Friend of mine has one and blew up the alternator. They are a pain in the ASS to work on.

Though I have to say the oil pan and the steering rack look a lot easier to fix than on a KJ.

WK is the same platform as the KJ. Why not take a look there?

i know its off topic but that probably why my wife says my new 05 WK handles and feels more lik a liberty then a grand cherokee and actually enjoys driving it compared to driving my WJ which is also why i probably dislike it compared to my WJ