Tailgate doesn't lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set off my alarm today while trying to load a friend's tire into my Jeep. I wasn't sure if the doors were locked or not, and when I went to open the tailgate, it popped but the glass didn't release. It also set off the alarm.

Quickly hitting the 'unlock' button on the remote silenced it and the glass popped open.

A few simple tests later, and yeah... my tailgate doesn't lock. I can hear the solenoids in the other doors, but not the tailgate, so I'm guessing it's bad. Looking at the Fiche, it looks like I need #55360641AB LATCH, tailgate. I was hoping the solenoid was separate, but I can't find a part number for it.

Am I barking up the right tree with the part number? Or is there something simpler I should check, first?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My 04 had recall for continuous operation of lock/latches causing failures and BCM software updates notifications.
My rear latch was not working right and after the software upgrade, now it even checks after jeep moves forward & reverses and the rear locks it self again.
There is no recall on the 05 for latches that I am aware of, but I wanted to add this for others, and also who knows maybe the dealer is more aware of TSB about it..
It could a simple matter of rear electronic latch replacement.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could remove the inner plastic lining from the tailgate and sit inside the Cargo Bay with a Multi-meter to measure the Tan/Yellow and Tan/Dark Green wires for voltage while someone opens or locks the tailgate. There should be 12 volts there and the polarity should flip over depending on the action to get the lock motor to change direction.

If the voltages are there but no locking/unlocking happens then either something is binding in the mechanism or the motor is shot.:shrug:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 8

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could remove the inner plastic lining from the tailgate and sit inside the Cargo Bay with a Multi-meter to measure the Tan/Yellow and Tan/Dark Green wires for voltage while someone opens or locks the tailgate. There should be 12 volts there and the polarity should flip over depending on the action to get the lock motor to change direction.

If the voltages are there but no locking/unlocking happens then either something is binding in the mechanism or the motor is shot.:shrug:

Good idea. I'll give that a shot this weekend, provided I'm not stuck at work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.