Switching from kj 2001 to kj 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys I have a 2001 kj and it is time to change, because the car is old... I have found here in Slo a 2007 kj 3.7 limited with 100k km. The question is next...

On my old one I have all extra things:
Towing device(will fit 2007 mod?)
almost new old man emu lift kit(will fit 2007mod?)
LPG installation(this can be interchanged for sure)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not to sure on the LPG as there were some minor engine changes. But everything else will bolt right up.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 02 model last july which was manufactured early 2002, bought it with 70k now has 97k on it, besides the upgrades, I just did the usual ****** flush, plugs, valve cover gaskets, ac compressor, and synthetic oil which has been in the motor since it had 7 miles. It seems to have a strong transmission but no cruise control :<. Id just keep your 01 and enjoy it

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 02 model last july which was manufactured early 2002, bought it with 70k now has 97k on it, besides the upgrades, I just did the usual ****** flush, plugs, valve cover gaskets, ac compressor, and synthetic oil which has been in the motor since it had 7 miles. It seems to have a strong transmission but no cruise control :<. Id just keep your 01 and enjoy it

x2

I thought KJs were '02-'07?

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they marked them different in other countries his was made in 01 and is called a cherokee. If it were made in 01 in the US they would market it as an 02 model with a manufacturing date in 2001 sometime.

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with seabass.
Keep your '02 and just build on that. It has a better body style, stronger ******, and more than likely paid off.

Today i had a free drive with the 07 kj, and it seems a really nice car...
Why do you think the ****** is not as good as on the old one? While driving it seemed to me a little bit better shifting... How much gears are in the new ****** and what are the differences between the old and the new?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today i had a free drive with the 07 kj, and it seems a really nice car...
Why do you think the ****** is not as good as on the old one? While driving it seemed to me a little bit better shifting... How much gears are in the new ****** and what are the differences between the old and the new?
Is your a manual or auto?

your ome lift and hitch will fit the 07. No idea on LPG conversion.

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your a manual or auto?

your ome lift and hitch will fit the 07. No idea on LPG conversion.

Mine is auto, but it haves definitely a different ****** than the 07...

And i don't know what are the differences...

And yeah, i have only part time 4x4, the 07 haves also full time, what is the difference?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07 has the 42rle and your 01 would have the 45rfe which is effectively geared lower and used in some truck platforms in North america at the time. It becomes more problematic when you lift and go bigger tires/ off road / tow. On street it will be more then adequate.

There are much more technical details out there but thats the short version. I'm also unclear exactly on the trailer towing package/ external oil cooler / HD cooling bit that was available on KJs with the 45rfe but some one will state it more specifically soon enough. Sufficient to say it was better then what it is on the 07 provided you do not have any trans issues.

The part time in both transfer cases function the same way where the Full time option is less prone to binding the drive train on higher traction surfaces. I.E. wet pavement, light snow, loose gravel on pavement. If your euro 07 doesn't have a part time function then it is different from the North american model but I can't imagine why it would be.

If your 01 is in sound shape I would keep it but I do like my 07. the 07 also has ESP and ABS which some do not desire for a variety of reasons.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45RFE in the 02 is going to shift a little harder because it was designed more for a v8 or diesel and the smooth operation 42rle in the 07 shifts more like a passenger car for comfort and less noticable shifts hence the reason they only put the 45RFE in 1.5 years of the kj unless you have an 05-06 diesel than you will have the 545RFE

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07 has the 42rle and your 01 would have the 45rfe which is effectively geared lower and used in some truck platforms in North america at the time. It becomes more problematic when you lift and go bigger tires/ off road / tow. On street it will be more then adequate.

There are much more technical details out there but thats the short version. I'm also unclear exactly on the trailer towing package/ external oil cooler / HD cooling bit that was available on KJs with the 45rfe but some one will state it more specifically soon enough. Sufficient to say it was better then what it is on the 07 provided you do not have any trans issues.

Yes I am planing to lift the new one with 2"OME lift and put on it 245/75/16 BFG all terrain, will there be some issues?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should not be any issues, mines an 04 and has been lifted over 150,000 miles of its life.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Cardhu I would love ABS and Rear disc brakes on my 02 heck I would love cruise control also. As for the 01-07 Just take care of it, ether application will work there are 170K plus 42RLE and 45RFE

Yes to the rear disc brakes.
NO to the ABS. It ***** off road!
Also, if you know how to drive and I'm sure you do James, then you don't need ABS.
Cruise? apparently really easy to install and is an inexpensive upgrade. I've seen them new
for between $199.99 to $225.00 for an OEM kit with new steering wheel.

trazman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will I have to do some cutting to fit the 245/75/16 tyres with OME 2"lift as on the 02 model or?

Is the consumption any lower on the 07 kj?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Will I have to do some cutting to fit the 245/75/16 tyres with OME 2"lift as on the 02 model or?

Is the consumption any lower on the 07 kj?

Just the pinch weld maybe (I haven't needed to pound our pinch welds)
And reshaping of the front inner fender plastic liner by the front leading
edge directly in front of the tire.

As far as consumption, I presume you mean fuel economy?
With 245-75-16 tires you will loose a little mpg.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.