Sway bar issue after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FATKAT750

Reaction score
Good morning,

I have a question for those of you that have lifted their Libertys. I started installing my Frankenlift yesterday and ran into a snag, I am not able to get the sway bar reconnected after installing the lift. Their is about a 2 inch gap to reconnect. I have read the install write ups from those that have done the lift, and it does not seem that anyway had any issues with this. My question is, when installing your lift, did you also install a longer sway bar link?

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I have a question for those of you that have lifted their Libertys. I started installing my Frankenlift yesterday and ran into a snag, I am not able to get the sway bar reconnected after installing the lift. Their is about a 2 inch gap to reconnect. I have read the install write ups from those that have done the lift, and it does not seem that anyway had any issues with this. My question is, when installing your lift, did you also install a longer sway bar link?

From my experience, though haven't actually lifted a Liberty specifically (Bought mine pre-lifted with junk skyjacker springs..), you will typically need longer sway links. I know JBA makes some quick discos and I believe they also have extended length links also.

FATKAT750

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought. I just order some through Al. Missed that part when reading the write ups on the forum on how to do the install. Did not cross my mind to get a set before starting the lift.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

did you sit it back down yet or are you trying with it still up in air? I put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up until I can connect it again. Then torque them down after you have it back on the ground.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you sit it back down yet or are you trying with it still up in air? I put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up until I can connect it again. Then torque them down after you have it back on the ground.

Wouldn't that tend to restrict travel?

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't need longer sway bar links when lifted, I'll bet you have the links on wrong, happened before and hit the same
Look into that before wasting money

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
From my experience, though haven't actually lifted a Liberty specifically (Bought mine pre-lifted with junk skyjacker springs..), you will typically need longer sway links. I know JBA makes some quick discos and I believe they also have extended length links also.

Over 190,000 lifted over 4 inches and no longer sway bar links
Lifted over 30 and never installed any longer sway bar links

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then that's why we listen to tomm. Curious though, how does it manage to get by with out longer sway links?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning,

None needed , will go on just have to have full weight on the ground before you hook them up, just go for it

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then that's why we listen to tomm. Curious though, how does it manage to get by with out longer sway links?

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Remember that the sway bar can be dropped nearly vertical when disconnected from the links. When the Jeep is lifted the sway bar just drops down to the height of the links. The sway bar bushings may prevent the bar from dropping due to wear from the stock position - but give it a good yank and it will connect with the link.

Bob

FATKAT750

Reaction score
I'll have another go at it. But until then what I've already tried so far is using the ratchet straps to pull the sway bar link down as well as a jack under the lower control arm, which at a certain point only raised the Jeep up with an inch to go before I am able to get the bolt back in.

Thanks again for all the help, it is appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have another go at it. But until then what I've already tried so far is using the ratchet straps to pull the sway bar link down as well as a jack under the lower control arm, which at a certain point only raised the Jeep up with an inch to go before I am able to get the bolt back in.

Thanks again for all the help, it is appreciated.

Well again have you checked to make sure everything is the way its suppose to be. Never had any issues at all on any that we lifted with not being able to hook it back up. As long as full weight on the ground, no need for ratchet straps, jacks , nothing