Sway Bar Hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 - - So my front sway bar will be the death of me. i put up with the sway bushing making noise until i spray them with white lithium grease, but that only last about 1000 miles then i got to spray them again. I am back to using greased stock bushings. They dont look like bad shape but only 1000 miles on grease is rediculouse. What can i do

2 - - Now the bigger problem for me is the Sway bar end links. My stockers were making alot of noise so i replaced them with some i found on ebay. The metal bushing in the stockers was ripped into an oval and over all look terrible. The new one sounded great for about 1000 miles then they started making their noise again. now these bushing seem like they are maybe a little softer and bend more in the rubber. What can i do to fix this? is it because of my lift? trust me everything is damn tight

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt rock krawler make an extended endlinks with their 3.5 kit back in the day? its not listed any more

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW. I just ordered some made by Crown from www.rompalicious.com. They've got some really good prices. $19.95 a piece for them.

BTW, I feel your pain with the sqeak. I've got one that has been hell to pin-point.

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O im real good at pinpointing just about any noise on a kj but fixing them isnt always as easy. i guess i could try buying moog or something better but im with TJKJ and i believe they need some extenstion.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How high are you sitting in the front? If over 23.50 then yes you have a problem and need to make some changes
I've been lifted about 110,000 miles at least now, still stock sway bar links and no noise, several others here that I see and work on are quiet as well. Just trying to determine what and why you have the problem

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill measure in a minute, No lie im pretty tall but the sway bar endlinks are my only issue, so if that means that i need to make some extended ones ill do it. It might just be that i have some crabby rubber in these ebay endlinks, but i doubt it.

So far this is what im thinking of doing.
You must be registered for see images attach

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so im at about 22.5. here are the pics.

this is passenger just sitting normal.

driver normal

passenger full droop

Driver full droop

here is what the stock ones looked like after about 130,000 miles

these are the end links i installed. im i just running some really crappy endlinks or what?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200431363089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
is the sway bar bent? you may want to pull it completly and lay it on the floor to better see any slight bends. just throwing out ideas.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts look loose in those pics.

i pull it off again, but i usually tighten them with a breaker bar. Im starting to feel that the metal bushing and the surrounding rubber isnt anywhere near oem quality or spec.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, the upper link bolt gets tightened to 100 ft. lbs pounds and the lower gets tightened to 85 ft. lbs.

I wonder if placing a big fender washer between the sway bar end link and the sway bar would help stop the squeek. I'm beginning to think the squeek is coming from the metal sleeve inside the bushing moving against the sway bar. Just thinking out loud.