Sway bar end links lifted KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear loud metal to metal thuds when steering is turned and I go over a small bump (front front left suspension). Main suspects: sway bar bushings (simple) and sway bar end links.
If replacing the bushings won't help I'll replace the end links.
Question:
Are those more recommended for lifted KJs rather than new mopar parts? What advantages does it provide over the mopar ones?

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone needing those, and never seen anyone who put these on. Same with disco ends.

Mine sits @23" all the way round. (4" lift)

Have you tried spraying it with silicone lube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
throw a torque wrench on your 4 upper strut mount bolts, sometimes with top plates they'll get in a bind during installs and give a false torque only to show up loose later when they unbind after months of driving around and hitting bumps

usually if sway endlink bushings are shot its pretty obvious due to them being all mushed out and cracked and what not like cookie dough

welcome to Find THAT Noise contestant Mindbomb!

as for anything on our vehicles bushing related, mopar is the way to go due to the quality of their bushings. some of crowns bushings are about the equivalent of cardboard mixed with wax

Last edited:

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone needing those, and never seen anyone who put these on. Same with disco ends.

Mine sits @23" all the way round. (4" lift)

Have you tried spraying it with silicone lube?

I got silicone grease tube not spray, I'll try to finger some in see if it helps...

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to spray a lubricant like that...pick up a can of fluid film

I got this product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZFUPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not familiar with fluid film, is it better for this application?

EDIT:
after reading fluid film product description I am pretty sure you are wrong - it is petroleum based lubricant anti-corrosive for metals - definitely not good for rubber bushings..
If spray is easier I'd get something like:
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Silic...0498362&sr=8-4&keywords=silicone+grease+spray

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never use any petroleum type spray on bushings,will eat the bushings.

Also never use any type of silicon based spray either,silicon will actually suck all the moisture from the bushings causing accelerated wear(dry rot).

High pressure hot/soapy water from a self serve car wash is the best.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never use any petroleum type spray on bushings,will eat the bushings.

Also never use any type of silicon based spray either,silicon will actually suck all the moisture from the bushings causing accelerated wear(dry rot).

High pressure hot/soapy water from a self serve car wash is the best.

I never knew that causes dryrot. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get new sway bar bushings and endings. I got the moog replacement end links and bushings. Solved the metal thud over bumps after lifting for me.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take off the old sway bar links and drive in an area where the noise would normally happen. If there is no noise then you've found the culprit. If the noise is still there go ahead and replace the links anyways. Definitely recheck everything you bolted/unbolted on the lift install.

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retighten your upper control arms, that will fix it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument, just a simple question for those who know?

If all is good, and you loosen and retighten your upper control arms, especially with the suspension loaded.. wouldn't you create a positive camber scenario?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument, just a simple question for those who know?

If all is good, and you loosen and retighten your upper control arms, especially with the suspension loaded.. wouldn't you create a positive camber scenario?

Not really, no adjustment on them
BUT if tightened with suspension unloaded you have the bushing in a bind ( more or less ) On the ground with full weight on them when you loosen them it allows the bushing to settle into the right position
Although should get alignment checked every so often anyways

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just get Moog replacements or one of equal/better quality.. even if it's not them, changing out mine at 190k made a very noticeable difference. Good price for the pair too.. think I paid 40 for the pair IIRC

As mentioned before, there are ways of checking them.. but mine made a lot of noise coming in/out of drivewaya and going slowly over bumps.. taking them off and looking at them you'd have never thought they were bad either..

Last edited: