Swap Turn signals for dog lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she???
Plus not all came with fog lights

True fact, she may not have had fogs. Yeah I'm talking about a friend that did the same thing; added the TJ bumper. Not sure she had fogs but if I had to guess I'm sure anyone in the same position would just get rid of the fog light harnesses and such.

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, been working dang near nonstop!! Finally a bit of a break! Time for work on the jeeps! The lights are on the way from Harrison Specialties.. should be able to wire em as soon as they get here. Also, if anyone is interested, I got a coupon with the confirmation email 10% off by using MAY13 during checkout..

Side note, wheels and bumper are on the way, and then tires and lift will be gotten shortly!

Thank you for your service, WickedBruce.

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I had some difficulty today trying to rig up the lights. The new lights have a black and white wire. White is ground, black is power. Easy. But the wires that go to the lights on the kj are white, black, and red. I assume black is power, white is ground, red is signal? Because red only goes to the turn signal bulb, then the white and black come off the connector and go to the side marker bulb... Which is which?

Also, Any pics of the bracket made to house these lights? Or ideas to mount the new ones?

Thanks!! On a happier side note, the 15x7 cragar soft 8s came in today as well as my new pro comp rock crawler bumper for the front!! Tires, lift, and rear bumper, and roof rack and she will be (mostly) done!!

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to move my signal lights to where my fog lights are and was wondering how this worked out for those of you who did it? I was also wondering how you did it? I had a few ideas about it but wasn't sure if they would work... One idea I had to do it was to just put amber bulbs in the fog lights and see if there was a way to just hook in the signal light connectors into the fog lights.. Another idea I had was to use the round jk turn signal lights and put those where my fogs are..

Also can I see a picture of the jeep that is using a tj bumper? This sounds interesting and was wondering how it looks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking to move my signal lights to where my fog lights are and was wondering how this worked out for those of you who did it? I was also wondering how you did it? I had a few ideas about it but wasn't sure if they would work... One idea I had to do it was to just put amber bulbs in the fog lights and see if there was a way to just hook in the signal light connectors into the fog lights.. Another idea I had was to use the round jk turn signal lights and put those where my fogs are..

Also can I see a picture of the jeep that is using a tj bumper? This sounds interesting and was wondering how it looks
You need running and turns so just wiring them up as turns does not work.
There are ways to make it work as both but why not just buy some round 2 inch LEDs and install them ?
Also installing a TJ bumper on a KJ never looks good

TheSurvivor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need running and turns so just wiring them up as turns does not work.
There are ways to make it work as both but why not just buy some round 2 inch LEDs and install them ?
Also installing a TJ bumper on a KJ never looks good

Thank you for all the help, I know you must be getting annoyed with all my question on this thread and the other one but I appreciate it!

Do you know how to do the LEDs as both? Is so can you give me step by step instructions ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They sell lights that are made to be used for running and turn signals both so wire them accordingly
Other wise you have to run a 5 pin relay on each side
85 goes to ground
86 goes to turn signal
87-nothing
87a to light source
30 to the running or parking light
it will be of course on parking lights until you turn the turn signal on, then it will flash. More than likely still have to wire in a resister between the turn signal wire and the ground

Its all out there on the internet:icon_razz:

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted LEDs from harrison lights online, in the place of my fogs. I have an 06 limited. I cut the clear part of the fog housing plastic out, and mounted the LEDs in there, and covered the lights with the the cover that you can get with them when you order. This is temporary until I do some real cutting around there getting rid of excess.

As for a yj/tj bumper, it is certainly doable. I think what Tom was trying to say was that it is personal opinion on whether it looks good or not. If you half @$$ the job, and make it look sloppy, it will probably look like a bag of sloppy @$$. But when done right, I think it can look pretty good. If you are looking for a lighter weight, cheaper than ARB alternative that is still better than stock plastic, it could work. If I don't like my ARB, I will go that route. I may even go it anyway. I think the ARB is too big. But again, it is personal opinion.

Let us know if there are any more questions..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I mounted LEDs from harrison lights online, in the place of my fogs. I have an 06 limited. I cut the clear part of the fog housing plastic out, and mounted the LEDs in there, and covered the lights with the the cover that you can get with them when you order. This is temporary until I do some real cutting around there getting rid of excess.

As for a yj/tj bumper, it is certainly doable. I think what Tom was trying to say was that it is personal opinion on whether it looks good or not. If you half @$$ the job, and make it look sloppy, it will probably look like a bag of sloppy @$$. But when done right, I think it can look pretty good. If you are looking for a lighter weight, cheaper than ARB alternative that is still better than stock plastic, it could work. If I don't like my ARB, I will go that route. I may even go it anyway. I think the ARB is too big. But again, it is personal opinion.

Let us know if there are any more questions..

What I was saying is I still haven't seen one TJ bumper that looked good. Plus most are installed with aluminum foil so first good hit or pull it would be laying on the ground. KJs are curved front and rear , TJ bumper are flat pieces of metal , don't mix well at all .