Suspension Overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently got new tires on my 07 Sport with 155k on it, 235/70/16 Firestone Destination AT. Also had the alignment done at the same time, and was told by the technician that the tie rods were seized so they couldn't adjust the toe all the way. Also since then, I have a popping when I turn the wheel all the way to the left at low (parking lot) speeds, so I'm thinking the ball joint is worn as well. Any way to tell if its the top or bottom thats worn?

I was thinking about doing an overhaul on the suspension anyways, but this is making me want to do it sooner. I want to go ahead and replace the inner and outer tie rods on both sides, lower ball joints on both side, new stock springs all around ($100 from Rock Auto), and new struts/shocks (either looking at a slight upgrade to Rancho RS5000 or just get OEM quality. Am I missing anything? Do I need new strut mounts? With mounts I'm looking at roughly $620 shipped for all of that, could knock it down about $100 if I don't do the Ranchos, and another $100 on top of that if I don't do springs.

Any other tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I know that for a few hundred (about $600 to do it right) more I could do a lift, and that'd be awesome and I know the ride will be better than it ever has been since I've owned this Jeep, but I just don't need a lift.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For about $850 total you can upgrade your suspension to slightly taller than stock height and have WAY better ride than OEM/Factory springs. Those shocks aren't that great, really; Rancho went kinda cheap on that line.

OME or Ironman with no extras like clevis spacers or top plates will get you between 2.25 to 2.50 inches of lift from where you are now. That's only about an inch taller than stock so you'd be barely "lifted."

Trust lots of years of experience - investing a little more now will pay BIG dividends for a lot of years.

Bob

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, but that's not including the needed ball joints and inner/outer tie rod ends. I'm not doing just springs/shocks. She needs more than that.

Sent from 92fox's Note 3

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The RS line of Ranchos is pretty much same grade as stock, lots better options out there , I know you don't want a lift but should always look at the options of upgrading the suspension. Stock is poor at best
What kind of parts are you looking at, some of rock autos is pretty cheap get the best you can, your safety depends on it ya know

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still considering the idea of doing OME/Ironman, but don't know if I want to spend that cash. May not even do the shocks/springs. I'm looking at $210 shipped for inner/outer tie rods for both sides, and lower ball joints for both sides. That's all work I can do (except the needed alignment). With the lift, I'd actually be getting a lot more than 1" with no spacers due to 8 years and 155k miles of sagging. I should get around 2.5-3" total all said and done, which is fine, just not needed and would look goofy with 235/70-16 tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
May look a little small but doable, here are a coupld of the ones here in Ohio that passed through my place
totally worn out 235-70-16s after 3.75 inches of lift
You must be registered for see images attach

245-70-16s and 4 inches of lift
You must be registered for see images attach

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Tom said, check out: RockAuto Parts Catalog

They have a good selection (Moog and some Mopar parts now too) and very good prices.

Sounds like you've decided against those Ranchos which is a good thing. I put a set of them an my Ranger about 6 years ago and like the Rock Auto listing says, they are heavy duty (stiff) shocks. Don't mind so much on the Ranger (126" wheel base) but wouldn't want them on the short (almost 2' shorter) KJ. They are relatively inexpensive and I don't think the quality is bad for their price. Have to say they have held up very well but very stiff, more so when it's cold too.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So back to the question about the clunk at low speeds...is it likely the ball joint or is there another likely culprit? This only started happening after the new tires and alignment, and only at low speeds while turning to the left (all the way)

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the passenger side lower ball joint, and the popping I was having went from happening every time I turn the wheel all the way to the left at low speed, to happening about a quarter of the time. It's not the sway bar end links, as I removed it all together and still had this issue. Tie rods maybe?