surging/lean condition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marky38

Reaction score
Hi there...2007 liberty...200k miles....Ive always had a slight surging occasionally since we bought it with 177k miles...Its always had a spark knock with the a/c on too....it seems the surge, or whatever is happening has been worse lately...its been hot and humid..i dont know if that has anything to do with it....im about 8k miles away from a 30k spark plug change...could that be a cause of the problem?..it idles good and runs well...no check engine lights.....could the fuel pump be on its way out?...any input welcome...Thanks

marky38

Reaction score
Hi there...2007 liberty...200k miles....Ive always had a slight surging occasionally since we bought it with 177k miles...Its always had a spark knock with the a/c on too....it seems the surge, or whatever is happening has been worse lately...its been hot and humid..i dont know if that has anything to do with it....im about 8k miles away from a 30k spark plug change...could that be a cause of the problem?..it idles good and runs well...no check engine lights.....could the fuel pump be on its way out?...any input welcome...Thanks
I do believe the 2007 have a throttle by wire and would have to replace the whole throttle body correct?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
2007 was the cross over year, early models may not have it. Attach a pic of your throttle body.

marky38

Reaction score
Yeah it's a throttle by wire...could that throttle body cause a lean/surge?.can you clean those ?..thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
All good questions, I do not own a throttle by wire set up.
It is probably two components. One is the gas pedal which actually is a sliding poteniometer.
The other is the drive by wire throttle body.
If there are issues a good shop scanner may find stored OBD2 codes.
Cleaning, I would refer you to a 2008 factory manual: Post 19 & 18 should work without ad blockers. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/factory-service-manual-links-kk.74533/
There are other threads re the throttle bodies, just not sure where they are, have a look in the KK section.