suitable ground location for trailer harness question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a curt trailer harness with the regulator box and the ground wire is short so I ground it to the body behind the taillight. Is this a suitable ground location? Should I extend the ground to the frame? Thanks for any help.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would extend it to the jeep ground to make sure it's good. But remember, do it good, a joint that is not suitable for a ground is not better than having no ground.

Last edited:

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Curt on my 05 and grounded it to the body behind the taillight and have had some intermittent issues with lights not working on the trailer, so it's probably not a great location. I plan to relocate the ground TO the body in the coming weeks, and would highly recommend doing the same. Trailer / ground issues are huge headaches, so save yourself a lot of trouble and run the wire to the body NOW and avoid the anguish. :)

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The actual frame of the vehicle as opposed to the body sheet metal.

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy aren't you captain helpful. Theres plenty of heavier structural components in the undercarriage compared to the body.

Setting aside genius technicalities, I'm thinking about grounding to the receiver.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy aren't you captain helpful. Theres plenty of heavier structural components in the undercarriage compared to the body.

Setting aside genius technicalities, I'm thinking about grounding to the receiver.

Yeah. The powder coating should ground it good.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not powdercoated it's coated in bedliner. Yeah, who would ever consider scratching down to bare metal to get a ground......

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy girls - let's try to be slightly helpful OK?

Grounding to the uni-frame is probably your best bet. In my experience with other vehicles the area around the tail lights isn't always a very good ground location. Seems like there's a lot that goes wrong when grounded there.

Hope your hitch and harness install goes well!

Bob

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grounding the the hitch itself would require a good clean connection to the body. Unless the bolts had clean metal underneath or a clean metal to metal contact between the hitch and body it would probably be a poor ground. Mine has two ground points. One behind the right 1/4 trim where my converter is and one from my 7 wire connector that I used a self tapping screw and ring terminal behind the back bumper. Both are securely screwed into the sheet metal body and so far have functioned properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a unibody... There is no frame

Actually, its a uni-frame... So yes there is a frame.

I gounded mine behind the right panel in the cargo area. Sanded the paint off an existing hole and put a bolt through it. My wiring plugs into the stock trailer wiring so i had that panel off already though.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just run it all the way to the battery negative terminal?

FWIW - one place on the body should be as good as any other - if your Jeep is welded together properly :)

Behind the tail light is one of the better places as it is (generally) dry.

Where does the factory ground the taillights? I have too many vehicles to remember. I know my last pickup had ground wires directly behind and it was very similar to the Libby.

Just clean it to bare metal, use a star washer and I hallways add copper cote (an electrical anti-corrosive) , but grease will do.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Been reading all of these responses and well have to say mine was installed September 21 2004 and its grounded in behind the tail light . Pulled a lot of trailers, even as far as Boston and Orlando never have had an issues with the lights

Members online