sub woofer install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildStar

Reaction score
First father/son Jeep project this weekend!! Our son purchased a factory jeep subwoofer; instructions are a joke. Nevertheless, any tips on removing radio bezel without doing damage and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jeep has the optional infinity speakers from the factory.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I'm in the Fairfax area, what side of town are you in? Welcome to the forum. Be sure to post your story here thread

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
The easiest way I found to get the radio bezel off was with a 99 cent PLASTIC flexible puddy knife. Slide the putty knife around the bezel using even pressure (try the top corners first, that way you can grab onto something when either corner pops). I just did mine about a month ago so I will give you any tips that I can remember. I would recommend to run the wire from the radio and cigarette lighter first. I ran mine down the side of the console and then came out under the middle of the drivers seat. I tucked the wire under the side of the console with the same PLASTIC putty knife. 2 People will make the job easier so that one can SLIGHTLY lift the sides of the console to tuck the wires in. When you run the wire underneath the drivers seat make sure you go under the sliding tracks for the seat. Move the seat ALL the way back and loosen the bolts in the front, a 1/4 of an inch unscrewed shoudl work fine. Now move the drivers seat ALL the way forward to gain easier access to the rear of the seat. This is where you will be working from to install the sub. Loosen the rear seat bolt closest to the door. Once all the bolts are loose enough connect the wire harness to the sub BEFORE you install the sub, there should be enough slack. Once the sub has been connected I would do a test to make sure ALL the door speakers work and that the sub works. Once all of that has been checked just slide the subwoofer under the drivers seat and make sure ALL the tabs go in that 1/4 inch opening on the bolts. Now tighten the nuts down so the tabs from the subwoofer are below the nut and above the seat. The tabs are designed to fit in the metal tracks where the seat bolts are. Tighten everything down and you should be all set! Hope this helps you out a bit!

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WildStar said:
First father/son Jeep project this weekend!! Our son purchased a factory jeep subwoofer; instructions are a joke. Nevertheless, any tips on removing radio bezel without doing damage and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jeep has the optional infinity speakers from the factory.

You need to go here elsewhere on the site for good directions to get that bezel off.http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=317

WildStar

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the postings and assistance it was a good father/son project.

Install was a success and overall it took about one hour to complete. System works great; all speakers function properly and the bass is quite apparent. I would not recommend this project for someone with limited or very minimal mechanical ability.

If you purchase a subwoofer off of the internet (new or used) make sure that you have the wiring harness, foam strips to cover the connections and one washer included. To the best of my knowledge, the Liberty is not prewired and you MUST have the factory harness to make the connections.

Feeding the wiring harness through dashboard and making/sealing connections is a bit of a challenge due to limited space and avoiding damage to radio/bezel/dash etc. Also, the radio does not want to slide back in place with additional wiring harness. Push the new harness off to the left side along with the new fuse holder. One thing to remember is only connect the harness to the power supply (auxillary outlet) after the radio is re-installed. Definitely test the radio and subwoofer before you completely reassemble and proceed with mounting subwoofer beneath the seat. Also, you can make adjustment to the bass & volume on the subwoofer itself. There are two small and almost hidden black phillips screews on the back & side of the subwoofer which are not mentioned or seen in the instructions. You must tune and adjust before installing beneath the seat. Adjustment screews are in a very tight space and you may want to rotate screws counter clockwise as a place to start your adjustment. Not very difficut to tune, just limited space in which to work. Once you are certain that it works and you have the right sound, disconnect subwoofer and then run harness along the drivers side of the consol. Remove metric bolts from drivers seat and install subwoofer. Note: front left of drivers seat you have the seat frame, then the washer (as supplied in the kit) on top of the frame and then the subwoofer bracket on the very top; the bolt is then attached. On the right front side of the seat the subwoofer bracket installs beneath the seat frame. Left rear subwoofer bracket mounts on top of the seat frame. There is no right rear mounting bracket to attach whereas it is freestanding. Torque seat bolts (35 pounds) back in place and you are good to go. Good luck...

WildStar

Reaction score
andrea70...I had not seen your website and thank you for the link. Nice website, I only wish that my Italian was better.

JeepnJer

Reaction score
Question about subwoofer adjusting screws...

Hey WildStar, welcome aboard! I totally agree with you about the "instructions are a joke"... All pictures! Not even any freq. range specs. I didn't notice those black adjusting screws on the subwoofer when I installed it about 4 months ago. You mentioned that one screw adjusts the volumn... I'm happy with the volumn. But can you lower the bass frequencies with the other screw, ie. reach bass freq's that are lower than the stock speakers? I'm happy with the boost the sub gives to the stock bass, but I think the sub could provide a little bit lower bass too.
Please tell me the back screw is the freq adjust.

BTW, I found out by accident that the sub is overload protected... I cranked it up real high right after I installed it to check for metal to metal vibration, and it cut out. Had to turn the stereo off to reset the sub. So that's cool.

Thanks!

Jerry

WildStar

Reaction score
Hey JeepJer: you are corrent in that one of the black phillips screws is for volume and the other controls the bass. These two little hidden screws actually provide a great deal of control over the sound. The only problem is that they are almost impossible to reach. We used a small phillips screwdriver that has a spring shaft which allows flexibility to reach behind the frame. Also, there is a fuse that you can short out that is part of the wiring harness.

Thanks again...

JeepnJer

Reaction score
Hey, thanks again for the info on how you accessed those two small screws on the sub. Before I go pulling the sub out to see if I can access those scews, were you actually able to vary the bass freq, ie. lower the bass range? Is it worth the effort?

TIA

WildStar

Reaction score
Hey Jeepnjer:

You can notice a significant differnece with the adjustment from the volume and bass screws. So much so that the when turned all the way up the speakers distort and shake the seat, door panels and dashboard. Factory settings are at 1/2 the maximum.

Before you remove the seat, just move the seat as far forward as possible. Using a flashlight and small spring shaft screwdriver you should be able to make the adjustment. You can also use one of those small bent tip screwdrivers. I believe that the bass is adjusted with the right side screw ,as you are looking at the subwoofer from the back seat. Good luck...