KJ, infinity Speaker Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read and heard many different answers for these questions, so here goes.

Thinking of replacing my speakers first (ones in dash crackle), than head unit later. yes I have the infinity system in my 2006 Libety Limited.

Looking at the wire diagrams (which buy the way I used to write those manuals for jeep) I see Left Front (twisted pair) and Left Rear (twisted pair) going from radio head unit to Left Front door amp.
Than amp shows wires going OUT to Left Rear door, and Left Dash.

So it appears the Left door, and Left Dash are on the same channel.

Now Crutchfield is telling me "all speakers are 2 Ohm impedance" and I know what that means. I also know that if I use 4 Ohm the load on amp is different and I will not have as much volume.

BUT i also read on internet that the front dash speakers are really 4 Ohm.
and I have read that the amp has a crossover network in it, and front door is sub woofer and dash is mid/highs?. I also read this amp does around 40w per speaker? (and you know if you read it on internet, its got to be true).

I have not seen the amp yet, but drawings show me 2 inputs, and 2 outputs, but It does not show amp hooked to door speaker because I bet amp and speaker are one part?

But if I run a 4 ohm dash speaker, and a 4 ohm door speaker in parallel, I will have 2 ohm. Is that how the amp is wired?

Or should I quit screwing around and just do the speakers and head unit the same time. If I go that route, I will remove the amps, and use stock wiring but jumper around amps in the door. Or should I keep amps in door with new speakers and new head unit?

Or just throw some new tweeters in the dash for now and be done with it? door speakers still seem to sound good (from what I can hear over my tire noise, so tires come before stereo work)

When I replace head unit. I love Sirius, but my unit does not have song/artist information :(. and I would like to move up to Bluetooth from phone to radio for playing music from phone. Don't really care about hands free calling, I would rather use my Bluetooth head set and keep conversations private if anybody else is with me. I would be happy with single Din, but may look at double din.
Also may like Sub output because I hear my current sound ordinance powered subwoofer I own may fit under drivers side rear seat :)
oh, and keep my steering wheel controls.

what are you guys doing that replace head units with Sirius? I think I am reading my sirius box is in back of car somewhere, with antenna going to sirius unit then wire harness between head unit and sirius unit. Do you put the new Sirius receiver in back, use factory antenna and run a new harness under carpet? or put sirius unit under dash and use new magnet mount sirius antenna?

Last edited:

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new stereo with 22w rms per channel, , and all speakers. Should i wire in the infinity amps or remove them and wire around them?

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove them and wire around them. Your amp is in the head unit now.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The infinity amp powers the rear speakers as well so note that you'll have to wire those up too.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think this is the steps I will take

1: install the radio, wiring it so the amps still work. at same time I need to run the RCA cables to the B-8pt 8" powered sub woofer and mount it under drivers side seat.
2: install the tweeters in the dash with new crossovers in door, after amp) and let infinity amp power them for now.
3: install rear door speakers and let infinity amp power them.
since I am switching to 4 ohm rear speakers I can see how the sound level may drop if I do one side at a time.
than do front door speakers last and decide at that time. I could jumper around amp connector to try it, as well as jumper new fronts in line to try how that sounds.

But I think I will end up bypassing the amps.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you install a new radio with amp, you will have to connect speaker cables (speaker level out) to all speakers (to the crossovers for the front...). You have to take out the Infinity amp, it will be no longer usable.
Otherwise, if you want to use the Infinity amp, you will have to use the preAmp output of your radio.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
system works great with 22w rms per channel driving the infinity amps. (Nbas, this factory radio puts out "speaker level" output of a couple watts, to drive the infinity amps. Its not the "line level" output that uses RCA connector to connect to the amp).

Yes just replacing the head unit, and letting it drive the infinity amps does sound better than the factory head unit.

anyway, since this info is hard to find, I figure I will post my findings as I go.

The tweeters in dash are really just small speakers.They measure 2.5" across the face of speaker.
The cross over network is a 68uF bipolar capacitor wired in series with speaker. Its wired into the negative wire between the speaker and connector, than covered with foam to help prevent rattles. I removed this capacitor and will install the crossover network that came with my speakers into the front door (which is where the tweeters are wired to.)

Last edited:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Nbas, this factory radio puts out "line level" output of a couple watts, to drive the infinity amps. Its not the "low level" output that uses RCA connector to connect to the amp).
Allways a line level output drives the amp in all Hi-Fi systems (cars and home systems). That is what I meant also.
Just have in mind that since you connected the line out to the Infinity amps on the doors, you are not using the 22w RMS per channel that your new radio has...

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the text in my original message to maybe clear up the confusion here.

There is not any low level output or RCA jacks in the factory infinity speaker system in my Jeep. The factory radio puts out speaker level output, and that drives the infinity amps in the door. You can take this factory radio and hook it up direct to speakers (without infinity amps) and it will still work.

When I installed the new had unit, it is also using speaker level output to drive the infinity speaker amps.

with the new head unit, the only low level output (which uses cables that have RCA jacks on them) is from the Sub woofer output on radio to my B-8PT 250w powered subwoofer that will go under the drivers side seat.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update.
today I installed the rear speakers.
than I opened the front DS door, unplugged the amp, jumpered around the amp for just the rear doors, turned on the head unit and set fader to back. Man what a difference, the LS sounded much louder and clearer running off the head unit and not the infinity amp.

Sold. Wired around the infinity amps, put cross over network in doors with double sided tape. sounds great.

Even ran 10' of coax extension back along RS door jams and plugged into factory Sirius antenna jack in passenger side rear.

PS: on the front door speakers all the foam all the way around connecting the speaker cone to the frame is gone. Plus the old front speakers cracked at high frequency peaks.

next is the sub woofer
:)

Dzeman

Reaction score
So did you end up bypassing the infinity amps altogether or just for the rear? If so, are you running 2 ways in the back and components up front using tweeters in dash w/ supplied crossovers? In the middle of this now. Thinking about dropping Kicker 3 1/2"s in the dash and mounting the tweeters higher. Don't want to fiddle w/ the amps if they do nothing.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put a pioneer head unit in and took the factory amps out so the head unit would be able to send full power to the 4 new 6.5 inch pioneer speakers I put in. Your better off doing this because trying to keep the infinity amps for one is a pain in the ass and two the power output of a factory stereo is almost nothing compared to a aftermarket one so even if you kept the amps and head unit and just put new speakers in it would have shit volume compared to what I did

justjeeps

Reaction score
I have read and heard many different answers for these questions, so here goes.

Thinking of replacing my speakers first (ones in dash crackle), than head unit later. yes I have the infinity system in my 2006 Libety Limited.

Looking at the wire diagrams (which buy the way I used to write those manuals for jeep) I see Left Front (twisted pair) and Left Rear (twisted pair) going from radio head unit to Left Front door amp.
Than amp shows wires going OUT to Left Rear door, and Left Dash.

So it appears the Left door, and Left Dash are on the same channel.

Now Crutchfield is telling me "all speakers are 2 Ohm impedance" and I know what that means. I also know that if I use 4 Ohm the load on amp is different and I will not have as much volume.

BUT i also read on internet that the front dash speakers are really 4 Ohm.
and I have read that the amp has a crossover network in it, and front door is sub woofer and dash is mid/highs?. I also read this amp does around 40w per speaker? (and you know if you read it on internet, its got to be true).

I have not seen the amp yet, but drawings show me 2 inputs, and 2 outputs, but It does not show amp hooked to door speaker because I bet amp and speaker are one part?

But if I run a 4 ohm dash speaker, and a 4 ohm door speaker in parallel, I will have 2 ohm. Is that how the amp is wired?

Or should I quit screwing around and just do the speakers and head unit the same time. If I go that route, I will remove the amps, and use stock wiring but jumper around amps in the door. Or should I keep amps in door with new speakers and new head unit?

Or just throw some new tweeters in the dash for now and be done with it? door speakers still seem to sound good (from what I can hear over my tire noise, so tires come before stereo work)

When I replace head unit. I love Sirius, but my unit does not have song/artist information :(. and I would like to move up to Bluetooth from phone to radio for playing music from phone. Don't really care about hands free calling, I would rather use my Bluetooth head set and keep conversations private if anybody else is with me. I would be happy with single Din, but may look at double din.
Also may like Sub output because I hear my current sound ordinance powered subwoofer I own may fit under drivers side rear seat :)
oh, and keep my steering wheel controls.

what are you guys doing that replace head units with Sirius? I think I am reading my sirius box is in back of car somewhere, with antenna going to sirius unit then wire harness between head unit and sirius unit. Do you put the new Sirius receiver in back, use factory antenna and run a new harness under carpet? or put sirius unit under dash and use new magnet mount sirius antenna?

In the 03 the head unit does not have a built in amp, rather each infinity speaker has it's own amp. I priced the factory speakers around $500.00 a set had to install separate amp with new polk audio.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for the delay responding.

I tried every way including running the infinity amps with my new stereo to the speakers.

the best sound was just removing the infinity amps all together and let the new high power head unit power the new speakers.

I used factory wiring harness. Using Crutchfields papers, and the online wire diagram for the KJ (found on line) I just wired around the amps.

since the dash speakers are wired to the front door's (they used to connect to infinity amp), it made it easy to put the new crossover networks in the front doors. clean a spot and double side taped them into door.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you stay with a factory head unit and upgrade the speakers without the amps the factory head unit will not have enough power to be able to get good volume out of the speakers and even if you do run the factory amps you would end up blowing them out as soon as you put a aftermarket headunit in because the aftermarket headunit has a built in amp that’s twice as powerful as the 2 factory ones combined. On the drivers side the door speakers front and back as well as the dash speaker are connected to the amp in the door. Same goes for the other side. The easiest way to go about it is to remove all the speakers and the 2 amps and just bypass them. I run 4ohm 6.5 inch speakers front and back and 2 3 inch speakers in the dash powered by a 400 watt pioneer headunit.

psrountree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that summary. This is what we were heading towards, but the technician doing the job was searching for an amp when he triggered an air bag. After 7 weeks we have at last got insurance approval to repair the damage but it may be 6 weeks before the air bag arrives in Australia. Then we get back to the radio. Thanks to all you guys I have a much better understanding of how it works.

Peter

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online