Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well heck, if I was on a road like that who wouldnt drive 50 in the snow? It looks like theres nothing at all to hit!

Glad you were alright and no cars were around. Ive been whipped back and forth in my kj and I must say its no fun at all.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
My .02 Any tire company is only as good as the scientist/chemist who is actually making up their rubber compound.

And as was stated earlier....ICE = NO GRIP...UNLESS STUDDED TO THE TEETH
I soon realized that with these Dayton Timberline MT's....scary on ice.:eek:

drfd74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i thought id share a winter story with you guys.
yesterday i was driving on the country road and didnt think the roads were bad. so i went normal speed and to my luck they were bad. i wound up hitting a patch of ice doing 50 and it whipped three times. luckily i had control of it and landed in a ditch.
but the snow got so packed up on it none of the wheels spun. so i had to get help and tow it out.
heres some pics.
You must be registered for see images

I wonder how the outcome would have been if you had gotten Bstone A/T Revo 2's?
Mine grip like crazy!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm beginning to think about getting new tires, even though the ones i have now are nearly new. they're no name tires that the dealer put on just so it would have "new" tires on it, but they're some of the worst tires i've been on. barely any grip, slippy-slidey all over the place...kinda scary when in 2WD, and barely any better in 4WD. they get so compacted with snow that they just turn into slicks.

i'll definitely say that not all tires are created equal...that's for sure!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been loving my Kumho Road Venture KL78's... They have been doing great in the foot and a half of snow we got, compacted snow on the streets and highways, ice they are about as good as any tire i have had, ice is ice, like some have mentioned studded is the only sure fire way there... But as long as i stay off the throttle no problem on ice, but when it gets really bad i know when to stay home. I had to use 4wd just to get around town a couple days, i sure as heck wasnt going out on the highway!

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85% of the vehicule's perfomance on any surface is from its driver alone... It is you who HAS to adjust your driving accordingly. You know the car you drive, you know the tires and their current state and you know what it looks like outside. The day i wont have to ask myself how should i drive this thing in this weather, or is this road usable or not or how fast can i go without sliding all over the place, well, thats the day ill quit driving. Thats the main reason why driving is fun !! When people will hop in their cars and tell the computer where they want to go, you get up and listen to the news cause youll see an old fart doing donuts and riding all over the place, that will certainly be me !! :p

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I know it is expensive but if you drive the Kj lots in summer and winter conditions, nothing beats 2 set of rims. This really extends the life of both sets and protects the nicer rims from salt corrosion.
One set for the all seasons, (if you must) and the other set is a good AT or preferably winter traction tire.

joshtazz

Reaction score
Look at the bright side joshTazz, no real damage and you got some real winter Liberty Pictures!
Nice and white, what state is that,must be back east!
I know the stock tires are terrible, I use Good Year's but the Silent Armor's with a snow flake rating/kevalr belts, they are very good in snow, but ice is a whole caution flag for any tires, without studs.

ya they are some great pics and those tires do suck. ha ya i was extremely scared because it whipped three times before i hit the ditch.

lys327

Reaction score
i currently have yokohama geolanders at's and love them. the only place they suck are obviously ice and real nasty slick mud

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i currently have yokohama geolanders at's and love them. the only place they suck are obviously ice and real nasty slick mud

I had a set of the old style Geolanders on my Ford Ranger...those were nice! I'm not too sure about the new tread design tho.

I sure do miss that truck...'00 4.0L V6, 4x4, Off-Road package, had 4.10 gears, a Powertrax No-Slip, 5 spd auto trans w/valve body shift kit, 3" body lift, dual custom exhaust....making me wonder where it's at now just thinking about it. a bunch of us went out mudding one day in a field, and i could pretty much walk all over anyone else out there (they were mostly stock tho)...that truck would throw rooster tails 20' in the air.

and actually to note about the comment about the driver being 85% of the equation when it comes to traction...i'm gonna have to put that down to about 50%. this truck, with the locker and those Geolanders, could drive thru snow-drifts in 2WD, that would stick my Liberty all day if I left it in 2WD (granted, I ain't locked up in the rear yet to compare it though.)

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tires would u guys recommend after a frankenlift would be installed

BFG - TKO's 245/75/16's with Frankenlift II, about 3 inches lift total.

I will make a comment about driving the KJ in snow. I don't drive offroad. I got lifted because in addition to living on a dead-end Township road, I deliver Meals on Wheels in my spare time. A lot of those folks either don't have driveways, or can't shovel 'em; so I'm either climbing up curbs to park on the sidewalk or busting through the bank the snowplow has left behind and slogging up the driveway alongside an old house to get to the back door.

I never had any problems with the stock 235/70/16 Goodyear SRA's that came with my off-road package. I did think they were better tires in snow than just in wet. I got the BFG's to get an extra inch in height and because the Goodyears had 70K on them. They were still good for another 10-15K.

Anything with wheels will slide, slip or spin once you break traction. How quickly you break traction depends on the road conditions, the tires, speed, direction and momentum. I've slid completely though intersections with the steering wheel turned full lock and not been able to turn an inch because of my speed.

KJ's a porker. Respect the weight and momentum, and make it work for you, not against you. I wish my temperature display would flash "slow down, *******" when it hits about 35° or so.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did think they were better tires in snow than just in wet.

...I wish my temperature display would flash "slow down, *******" when it hits about 35° or so

Finally, someone agrees with me. yes the stock 235s completely suck in wet conditions, but are quite good in the snow. Mostly because they are unpredictable in the wet but predictable in the snow.

...but enough with beating a dead horse already. Mostly, they suck.

My 03 F150 with the overhead console flashed "ICE" when it hit 32°. It made me think.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tires

Goodyear Duratracs awesome so far ride great, great over all on wet roads, back roads, mud , snow everything,
WAY BETTER than the BFG ATs I had before
Was going up roads last week that loaded pickups in 4 wheel drive were spinning and I hadn't locked in in!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To me, no manufacturer of anything can have all good products...some will be duds, but some will excel...

Latest posts

Members online