Stuck front rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldJoe

Reaction score
Hi. I have a ’04 Liberty and a new set of Rock Auto Ceramic pads and rotors in a box. I’m having a hell of a time getting the old rotors off. I’ve used WD-40 penetrating oil, dead blow hammer, 2 lb. sledge, and even tried bolts through the caliper mounting bracket holes. Went through all this a couple of weeks ago. Nothing worked. I thought maybe if I waited awhile, the oil would work in. Went through all of this again yesterday and still nothing. Oh yeah, I double and triple checked that the assembly line clips that keep the rotor on during assembly are taken off. The rotors and pads on there now are OK, I just want to upgrade. HELP!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine took some substantial pounding with a 5# sledge from the back side to get them off.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might sound like a duh thing but did you take the retaining clips off the studs?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called a BFH for a reason, right Tim? :happy175::happy175:

Bob

The number of things my BFH has "fixed" on my Lady is ridiculous. Also just rescued a pretty stout cheater pipe that was going in the trash to go along with it!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the record WD40 doesn't do much of anything on rusted / frozen parts . Aero-Kroil or there are some other good penetrating fluids designed for this purpose
Kroil
creeps into millionth of an inch spaces, dissolves rust,
lubricates and quickly loosens frozen metal parts,
frees rusted bolts, frees frozen shafts ...
about the best stuff I have used
Now get a BFH and go after it like you really mean it, get tough!!!:happy175:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to get some of that Kroil penetrating oil, I usually use PB Blaster. Has anybody tried the home brew using 50/50 ATF and acetone? Machinist Workshop Magazine did a controlled test on some of the commercial penetrating oils, and the Kano Kroil came out on top. Except for the ATF/acetone, which performed twice as good as Kroil.

OldJoe

Reaction score
Just for the record WD40 doesn't do much of anything on rusted / frozen parts . Aero-Kroil or there are some other good penetrating fluids designed for this purpose
Kroil
creeps into millionth of an inch spaces, dissolves rust,
lubricates and quickly loosens frozen metal parts,
frees rusted bolts, frees frozen shafts ...
about the best stuff I have used
Now get a BFH and go after it like you really mean it, get tough!!!:happy175:
tommudd... I wasn't using regular WD-40. They have WD-40 Penetrant Spray that I used on a few non-automotive stuck bolts and plumbing and had pretty good luck. Anyway, I'll give Aero-Kroil a try as soon as I locate a dealer. Thanks for the tip. Joe

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It's called a BFH for a reason, right Tim? :happy175::happy175:

Bob
Darn Rights!!
50895[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Now That's What I'm Talking about! :icon_lol:

Attachments

• BFSledgeHammer.jpg
    BFSledgeHammer.jpg