Strange Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Always hard to tell from a video I think
but have you checked the
water pump
tensioner, pulleys
power steering
AC
oil

Tyam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I have not, and this is a little embarrassing I don't know how to to be honest, im just wondering if it should raise any real concern.

Thank you for your input
Tyam

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes something is getting ready to let go from the sounds of things, it could let you sitting somewhere along the highway. Thats something you don't want to have happen in Youngstown! :happy175:

Tyam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input I'll have the shop check it out. And by the way it is illegal to run out of gas in Youngstown. No joke

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tough to say by a video, but if I had to guess I'd bet it's the AC unit. It sounds very much like ones I've had go bad in the past... like the rattling is coming from inside something. But as Tom said, it could be any of those things. Hope you figure it out before it locks or takes out some other things by coming apart.

Tyam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After taking it to the shop the final diagnosis is a water pump... Thanks for the help

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Okay so this morning I turned on the Jeep and this strange noise was coming from behind the dash... So i popped the hood and I hear this noise very audibly so i recorded it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJ5foD-evs
The noise sonuds like something is rattling

Thanks
tyam

I know that when I turn on the "Jen"...
She make a strange noise as well!:D
Then after a few min. she starts purring like a kitten just like the KJ!

epp

Reaction score
My daughters KJ is making a similar rattling noise but only when the air conditioner is on and the compressor kicks on. I see the tensioner bouncing around when it is making the noise. There is no noise or bouncing of the tensioner when the air conditioner is turned off. Could it just be the tensioner or something in the compressor making the tensioner bounce? Should I tell my daughter not to use the a/c until I figure it out? Any advice will be appreciated.

epp

Reaction score
I replaced the belt and tensioner today and the rattling noise is gone. This forum has saved me once again. Thanks to all.

Latest posts

Members online