Strange grinding sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 06 limited when in 4wd spining (tcs off)i hear what sounds like the abs pump or a grinding sound from the front end could anybody please help me with this thank you

sent by telegraph from my k30

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to check is the CV joint and boot at the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. If that's destroyed, then that's your issue!

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joints and ft diff bearings are good i tested it today and it even does it in 2wd and the lights dim when it happens :/ im a newb when it comes to these libertys

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joints and ft diff bearings are good i tested it today and it even does it in 2wd and the lights dim when it happens :/ im a newb when it comes to these libertys

Are you sure you're looking at the right joint? This is a CLASSIC case of this joint failing...Besides the lights dimming part...which I feel like isn't related.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-check-front-driveshaft-t-case-end-cv-joint-54135/

Do you feel an ABS pulse? If it's an electrical problem...it could be a failing battery. A battery that's not outputting enough voltage can make all computerized systems go nuts.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could have an alternator starting to go south, with a bad bearing trying to lock up. Trust me, it's no fun when that happens......when on a road trip.....hundreds of miles away from home.....with no parts stores having one in stock. ;)

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help it is the electronic limited slip /abs pump making the strange sounds im new to cryslers els system and had never herd it function before but this weekend in the snow allowed me to test all the electronic systems and figured out what was causing this strange sound

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 (ESP) used to make grinding sounds when I had wheel spin on the rear axle. With new rear brakes and a diff fluid change (It pretty sure just the brakes fixed it), the sound went away or became very quiet.

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some times I'll make ii do it in 2wheel drive on an icy snowy road just to make sure it's working like it's suppose to. No other reason but just to see. That way when it does happen your not surprised by the sound or the feel of the brake peddle.