Stock Intake Pipe V6 Liberty to V6 Dodge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007V6Dak

Reaction score
Hi i am new to this site and from Dodgetalk.com and i have a 2007 Dodge Dakota 3.7L V6 that i am looking to ditch the stock rectangular resonator that sits next to the throttle for the straight intake pipe on the Liberty 3.7L V6.

I have looked at the K&N version but after experiencing the pollen from the spring i thought it is not a good idea to have an open cone filter. So before i go looking for one in a junkyard or get quotes from the dealer parts department, i need to know a few things:

1. What is the diameter (in Inches) of the insert at the throttle body and at the airbox insert?

2. is there a factory hole for the I.A.C. sensor (yes i have the electronic throttle) and if i need to look for certain models?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The large cone type filter, like the K&N, shouldn't have any problem with the pollen, it might need more frequent cleaning but so does your stock filter with high pollen or dusty conditions.

I have an 03' so i can't answer your other specific questions as i believe it different for that airbox, but i thought i would comment on at least part of your project!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey!!! I'm from Dodgetalk as well....I'm CopperMtnGuy there. AKA Durango+KJ....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only certain kj's have the straight tube like youre looking for. Far as I know its only the 04+ libertys but some 03's may have it. The 07 kj may work the best since it has the electronic crap like you do.

Not sure about the size or the sensor.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I just did this on my Grand Cherokee.

Depending on where your IAT sensor is, and whether it's the same one you may need to drill a new hole for your existing sensor.

You'll have to do a bit of swapping, ghetto-rigging, and other stuff but it CAN work. Got some MPGs from it too. ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
THE PROTOTYPE....
You must be registered for see images attach

This is my FINAL version...

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta pic of stock versus your idea?

on a side note, my brother drives asn 02 dodge dakota 4.7

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it quiets the air moving into the engine.

http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

It does more than that, if you remove it some torque will be lost. The Jeep may sound faster but sound doesn't equal power.

Also, the stock resonator on the 3.7s is pretty much JUST that. A large diameter, low-restriction tube going right to the throttle body. Take it off and stick your hand up there. You'll see what I mean.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

It does more than that, if you remove it some torque will be lost. The Jeep may sound faster but sound doesn't equal power.

Also, the stock resonator on the 3.7s is pretty much JUST that. A large diameter, low-restriction tube going right to the throttle body. Take it off and stick your hand up there. You'll see what I mean.
1. I haven't NOTICED any torque loss, in fact, see #4.
2. I have noticed a considerable MPG gain.
3. Yes it is louder and I did miss the noise. :p
4. It made my exhaust SLIGHTLY deeper sounding. ;)
5. What I did notice is that the Jeep seems "happier" at highway speeds. It is just a lil bit peppier now. AND YES I DID compare the two setups.

In short, it was worth it. Before I was averaging a steady 17.4MPG. Now? I'm averaging 17.8-18.1.

Mine isn't an aftermarket or "performance" intake, it's just a different stock part. :)

Personal Experience over "studies" FTW.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I made my own:
picture.php

The filter is TWICE as large now, that's the only difference from that photo.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I haven't NOTICED any torque loss, in fact, see #4.
2. I have noticed a considerable MPG gain.
3. Yes it is louder and I did miss the noise. :p
4. It made my exhaust SLIGHTLY deeper sounding. ;)
5. What I did notice is that the Jeep seems "happier" at highway speeds. It is just a lil bit peppier now. AND YES I DID compare the two setups.

In short, it was worth it. Before I was averaging a steady 17.4MPG. Now? I'm averaging 17.8-18.1.

Mine isn't an aftermarket or "performance" intake, it's just a different stock part. :)

Personal Experience over "studies" FTW.

The loss of torque will probably not be noticeable, but if you ran the vehicle on a dyno you will see a reduction in bottom end torque. If you like the sound then go for this mod, but that's the only thing that you would gain.

It's impossible for it to make the exhaust sound deeper or for it to get better MPGs. Why? Your 3.7 has a throttle plate that controls the flow of air into the engine. At idle, when the throttle plate is closed, the engine is getting so little air that it could run breathing through an ICEE straw. At this point having a straight pipe vs a resonator makes no difference. When at WOT and max engine RPMs the 3.7 only pulls about 300 CFM of air (CID x RPM x volumetric efficiency /3,456 = CFM). That's still not enough to outflow the resonator or straight pipe (although at that RPM the engine would probably outflow the exhaust). I doubt you operate the engine at WOT all the time unless you are a 16 year old driving mommy's factory stocker whose only options are Greenpeace and Baby On Board stickers and think an off roadable vehicle should perform like a bi-turbo German sports sedan while you are tooling down the four lane on the way to the library. Well, at part throttle the engine has these "dips" of torque, the resonator is designed by the vehicle manufacturer to fill these dips in by having a supercharger effect (using resonance to pump air into the engine).

But lets say your air filter is clogged and the engine does not get a full breath of air. Well, your still not going to gain any MPGs because of the various sensors that tell the computer how much fuel to inject into the engine.