Stock Intake Pipe V6 Liberty to V6 Dodge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
best setup ( after running 4 different ones in over 80,000 miles ) is the stock box , Amsoil filter and a 3 inch dryer vent hose out to the grill , only cool air entering :D
Sounds like a good idea.

I fail to see how a filter, and air hose, in the HOT engine compartment is COLD air...

Now THAT is fairly obvious.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea.

I fail to see how a filter, and air hose, in the HOT engine compartment is COLD air...

Now THAT is fairly obvious.

U may have missed this -> ".......vent hose out to the grill , only cool air entering" . That would be outside air and pressured inlet larger than the stock tube. If I drove WOT I would do the same.
________
Iolite Vaporizer

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
U may have missed this -> ".......vent hose out to the grill , only cool air entering" . That would be outside air and pressured inlet larger than the stock tube. If I drove WOT I would do the same.

I didn't miss it. :) I said that was a good idea.

What I DIDN'T understand is people putting a hot filter right there in the engine compartment. And they do it all the time and call it a COLD air intake. Wtf?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
best setup ( after running 4 different ones in over 80,000 miles ) is the stock box , Amsoil filter and a 3 inch dryer vent hose out to the grill , only cool air entering :D

Got pics of this?

I can get intake funnels, a nice chrome ones, only need one though.

My '06 stock air-box has an intake snorkel on it, it's oval shaped, and goes into the bottom half of the box. Under the hood is also a fitted seal for it, so the air only comes in from that point.

I still want to cut part of the Center "/ \" out, thet goes up the hood, scoop it, and mount a filter cone directly on the end of the TB, risen up out of the cut-out slightly. . Did something like that with a Geo tracker I had...

For the record, I know what I have is NOT a "CAI", the one on my former Avenger, WAS...

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't miss it. :) I said that was a good idea.

What I DIDN'T understand is people putting a hot filter right there in the engine compartment. And they do it all the time and call it a COLD air intake. Wtf?

You hit the nail on the head!

My '99 Dodge Ram has the most ridiculous filter set-up imaginable. The filter sits in a plastic plenum above the throttle body, with a breather tube that goes to a hole in passengers side fender. This is in essence a CAI. The problem is the whole thing has to be completely removed to check/change the filter.

Yet I can get several aftermarket CAIs that mount a tube from the throttle body to a filter mounted on the fender. Some of these include a "heat shield" or even a box type set-up. Some include nothing at all. But none of them completly seal the filter from the engine compartment.

The problem is the stock set-up is far better at being a CAI than the other (incorrecly named) CAI packages. They may flow better, be easier to service, and just plai out perform the stock set-up with one exception. They are not truely a CAI.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Dirk at DPG Off Road
www.dpgoffroad.com

That was also the day after the install...both fender flares are reinstalled.

The wheels...well...

They're well on their way to being 100% black!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

2007V6Dak

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I would like to see more pics of the stock intake pipe to get a better judge of the setup.

As for the resonator topic, it does nothing but muffles air. All vehicles have it now but i have to say the 3.7 V6 and 4.7L V8 have the WORST resonators i've seen: While others have the resonators closer to the airbox away from the throttle body, Chrysler has them right smack on the throttle.

When i had the custom setup that i made from autozone a few months before i ripped it out because the flex hose has a cut in it and i noticed at least 1 mpg improvement but even more important is the pick-up power from a full stop that seems lost with that resonator in the way. It was important for the engine especially for the weight of my Dakota it has to overcome.

So i'll see if i can find some junkyards around here. Anyone have a clue how much if you get the part directly from MOPAR(Dealer) parts department?

2007V6Dak

Reaction score
THE PROTOTYPE....

Is that the stock rubber coupler or a custom one and if the latter where did you get that coupler?

Someone told me to use a 3x3" flex coupler from Home Depot or Lowe's but i found out it swelled way to much before it finally clamped on the throttle body.

I don't have to worry about the extra flex hose since the stock airbox in the Dakota is straight-on where the stock Liberty intake curves an almost 90 degree to the right.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think someone needs to open a few hoods before he says ALL have itvertel.gif

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well since you say that it is impossible for my MPG gains, and seemingly peppier feeling on the highway, how do you explain my increases? and no my driving style did not change and never has.

Getting back to this part of the discussion, I believe it may be a misunderstanding on the "loss of low end torque" type of verbage. Both parties can be correct ... to some extent. The loss of low end torque means it is moved up the power band a little, not a real loss. The repositioning of the torque would be detrimental to a rock crawler but the avg. person just driving on the hwy will feel nothing. A really finely tuned butt dyno may feel changes to the intake system. My butt takes considerable more changes to actually know the difference.
________
EXPERT INSURANCE

Last edited: